"Line in use" when connecting Ooma Telo to internal home phone network

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
schmitzkabob
"Line in use" when connecting Ooma Telo to internal home phone network

Post by schmitzkabob » Tue May 12, 2020 9:04 am

Just purchased a new Ooma Telo and it works great..... if connected directly to the phone base station. Instead, I'd like to distribute the signal through the internal phone wiring in my home.

The problem is that all my phones report "line in use" when the Ooma is powering the home network (I have 2 distinct base stations, a Panasonic and a Vtech). I can activate either phone and get a dial tone, but when ending the call, the system behaves as if the call is still active and when I come back and try to make another call, I get an "off-hook" tone. The only way to reset it is to cut a connection either on the Telo or the phone base station.

I've followed the instructions provided by Ooma and have disconnected the Telcom's line into my home from the NIB outside. I've measured zero voltage in one of my jacks confirming that the connection has been cut. I've spoken with Ooma customer service but they simply refer me to the same guide that is posted online.

I've had phone service from the local Telecom at this address for over 20 years and it's worked fine, even up to day before yesterday when it was disconnected, so I know the internal wiring is correctly wired.

There are a couple other users on the forums reporting similar issues, but the solutions offered haven't provided any fruit thus far. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue or have any useful troubleshooting steps?

Thanks

schmitzkabob

Re: "Line in use" when connecting Ooma Telo to internal home phone network

Post by schmitzkabob » Tue May 12, 2020 10:19 am

Problem solved.

While I disconnected the phone connection from the outside, I neglected to realize that my cable company connected my cable modem to a tel jack. No idea why, but it was disrupting the Ooma signal just enough to where it was halfway between working and not working.