How to switch to Ooma Internet if my home internet goes down?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
samalex
How to switch to Ooma Internet if my home internet goes down?

Post by samalex » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:55 am

So I have our setup where the Ooma Telo box is between my cable modem and router, and it works well. I have the 4G tower setup on the Ooma Telo. I've read that we can use the Ooma device as an Internet access point if our home internet goes down, but how do we do this? Will it switch automatically to use 4G if our cable modem isn't providing internet access? Will we somehow know? I'd hate for our Internet access to drop off and us not know it then stream gigs of data at $8 a gig.

Thanks for any insight on this -- I tried asking Tech Support about this both on the phone and chat, but they really aren't very helpful.

samalex

Re: How to switch to Ooma Internet if my home internet goes down?

Post by samalex » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:27 am

Just a followup ... I've found like 4 docs on Ooma's site that this feature is available, and I've contacted support numerous times asking this. Each time they just give me canned setup instructions or marketing fluff copied/pasted into chat or over the phone. No one can answer how to use this service from Ooma so I'm here.

The scenario is if our broadband at home goes down how would I switch to using Ooma 4G for our broadband? Our setup is this:
Cable Modem <-> Ooma Telo with 4G towner <-> Router <-> Computers

My fear is if our broadband connection drops and it switches to 4G and we don't know it we'll be sucking down gigs to get a hefty bill. My questions that the Ooma support can't answer are this:
1) If the data switch is automatic how can we be notified
2) If it's not automatic (preferred) how do we make the manual switch?

I'm glad phone switches automatically so if kids are home alone and broadband goes out they can still use phone -- that's why we got the 4G option -- but for Internet I'd rather have more control over that spec of it.
Thanks ..

murphy

Re: How to switch to Ooma Internet if my home internet goes down?

Post by murphy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:11 am

Put the Telo behind the router.
Do not connect anything to the Home jack on the Telo.
If broadband goes down the Telo switches to 4G but everything else has no internet access.

If you need internet access in this situation, connect a computer to the Telo Home jack.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx