Original Telo compared to Telo Air 2

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
bigdog
Original Telo compared to Telo Air 2

Post by bigdog » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:36 am

I have an original Telo and although it does work, the sound quality is very poor. It sounds like it is underwater and hard to understand people and them understand me. I've run the VOIP line tests and they come out good so can't blame it on my ISP.

Anyway are the Telo Air 2 units any better? Other than having the ability to be placed anywhere and not just hard wired to the router, what other improvements do they have over my original one?

If I was to replace my old one with this, how does that work with my account, phone number, etc.?

Thanks

murphy

Re: Original Telo compared to Telo Air 2

Post by murphy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:39 am

The Telo 2 supports the Ooma alarm system. The original Telo only supports up to 3 devices.

There have been many reports, including mine, of speaker failure in the Telo 2. I replaced the speaker myself. Not everyone is capable of doing that.

To upgrade buy a new Telo.
Do NOT activate it.
Call Ooma and tell them you want to replace the Telo on your account. They will ask for the MAC address on the bottom of the new unit. The old Telo will be deactivated and the new one put in its place on your account.
There is no way to do this yourself.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

bigdog

Post by bigdog » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:32 am

Interesting... The alarm part is not that important to me. I do like that with the air, it can be away from the router which one reason I was looking at it. Do you know if the sound quality when speaking on the phone is any better? Did they improve anything in that area?

The speaker part does worry me a bit. I saw a video on youtube with them replacing one on an old one like mine. Looks like a pain to get into the case.

Thanks for the info on how to transfer to the new one (if I get one). My main concern with my old one is the call quality and if this one does not really improve in that area, then I have to think about it.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:47 am

I have a Telo and a Telo 2. Both are hardwired. I don't have audio quality problems with either one now. I did have a problem when my cable modem started dropping up to 17% of the outbound packets. A new cable modem fixed that problem.

Either of them can be converted to wireless by plugging the correct adapter into the USB port.

I have around 70 wireless devices in my house and there is no way I would add the phone to that mix.
My router has 8 external antennas and covers three bands to support that load.

bigdog

Post by bigdog » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:58 pm

The first thing I checked was my line quality and that seems to be fine.. The (current) Ooma is hard wired right into the router so should have no connection issues but does suffer from poor sound quality enough to where I don't use it that often. I was hoping maybe the Telo 2 has improvements (hardware-wise) to help with that. Plus the idea of moving the Telo unit to a more convenient area is a big bonus too, IF it sounds clearer.
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-10-02 VoIP Test for Your Connection Quality RingCentral.png
Screenshot_2020-10-02 VoIP Test for Your Connection Quality RingCentral.png (25.29KiB)Viewed 13443 times

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:44 pm

Are you using Ooma handsets? They have HD audio.
If not is the base for a cordless phone system at least 3 feet away from the Telo? If close together the transmitter in one can affect the receiver in the other. It's like trying to hear someone on the other side of the room while someone else is standing right beside you and screaming into your ear.

bigdog

Post by bigdog » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:06 pm

No I am using some old Uniden DECT 6.0 cordless phones. I did get some Panasonic ones that I was going to try on there as well and see how (well) those worked as well. The base of the phone and the Ooma are literally sitting right next to each other, literally 6" apart. I will try moving them apart and see if that remedies the issue...thanks for the tip