Why don't all calls appear in the call log?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
lmacmil
Why don't all calls appear in the call log?

Post by lmacmil » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:56 am

We just got one of those scam calls about our social security account being suspended. My wife was sitting by an extension phone in the kitchen and answered it. I was going to report it to NMR but when I looked at the HD3 call log and the my.ooma call log, the number didn't show up. It shouldn't matter which phone is answered since they all go through the Ooma telo, right? I don't know if this was a fluke or if the caller had some way to block the number from appearing in the call log.

murphy

Re: Why don't all calls appear in the call log?

Post by murphy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:03 am

Check again in an hour. Unless it has been changed the call log is generated in the Telo and periodically sent to the server. Did she answer before the second ring started? Caller ID is sent between the first and second ring.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Stelcom66

Post by Stelcom66 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:34 am

Answering before the second ring could be why. Our older PBXs line keys will turn red, then green and audibly ring after the Caller ID is sent. The system won't let you answer the call in the red status.

I've noticed a couple times lately though - the cordless phone CID just displays 'Incoming Call' - but there was a number in the call log. I only have the cordless phone nearby to see the CID screen as the display on the wired phone is shot. Likely it was a temporary defect of the cordless phone system.

lmacmil

Post by lmacmil » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:49 am

Thanks. She probably did answer it before the 2nd ring and that would explain it. I have also recently seen "incoming call" on the HD3 display instead of a number or a city/state. I don't recall seeing that in the past.

Stelcom66

Post by Stelcom66 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:22 pm

Welcome. Then maybe there is something intermittently going on if you're also noticing just 'Incoming Call'. I also don't recall seeing that in the past.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:30 pm

Caller ID name is not sent with the phone call. The receiving phone company has to look it up in the database they subscribe to.

When a call comes in Ooma has to look the number up in the database that it uses. If the number isn't there it is their choice of what to display.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Stelcom66

Post by Stelcom66 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:33 pm

Our company deals with that often and must explain it to customers, especially with all the service providers out there. One of our company numbers (my D.I.D.) displays a previous company name when calling home. Someone with phone service with another provider could display a different name.

The situation I had when my phone CID display showed 'Incoming Call' there was no phone number, but there was in the log. Maybe the CID data sent to the phones happened to have a defect. It is a rare occurrence.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:48 pm

I've seen Ooma not send the caller-id info out the Telo port while at the same time the Ooma handsets (HD3) DO display the caller-id.

If the calling party doesn't send caller-id that call never shows up in the Ooma call log.