Enable outgoing "Block display of my caller-ID", my number is still showing

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
spin133
Enable outgoing "Block display of my caller-ID", my number is still showing

Post by spin133 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:25 pm

Hello, I am new to using Ooma Telo and is happy with it so far. I am on Premier plan and when I tried enabling "Block display of my caller-ID" for my outgoing calls under Privacy preference, the person I am calling can still see my number/name (tested with calling my cell phone). This checkbox seems to have no effect turning off my outbound caller id. However, *67 does block my caller-id from showing. Does anyone have idea what am I missing? I called customer service there seems to no help other than telling me to reboot the Ooma.

thomasm

Re: Enable outgoing "Block display of my caller-ID", my number is still showing

Post by thomasm » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:30 pm

The *67 command sends a different message to the receiving party. You need to be careful using that command as many people (including me) don't allow incoming calls when the calling party blocks their number. I don't know what message Ooma sends if you do not want your caller-id sent. It could send the "out of area" message or something else. But it does not send the "caller-id blocked" message.

Unfortunately there is a database of caller-id names to phone numbers that may be why you are still sending your caller-id info. When I got my current cellphone and I called someone the caller-id would show the name of some company! Apparently they used to have the number (not even a cellphone number). I hate to remember how many calls I made to my cellphone company (US Cellular) to try and get this fixed. FINALLY they got my caller-id fixed so it showed my name correctly. It took 24-72 hours for each update to take effect and update all the caller-id databases.

Good luck getting your caller-id the way you want it.