3 HD3s and 1 wired phone ring issue

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
loubon
3 HD3s and 1 wired phone ring issue

Post by loubon » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:54 pm

Hi. I have a setup with 3 HD3 wireless phones and one phone wired to the house wiring (outside service disconnected). When a call comes in the wired phone rings first, then the wireless phones ring in unison, then the wired phone, then the wireless etc. alternating back and forth.

Does anyone know a way to have them all ring together? The wired phone is an older wall phone so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. The 3 wireless were setup through the base unit and then I have a phone cord in the phone jack on the base unit connected to one of the wall jacks for the home circuit. PS, I recently switched from Vonage and this didn't happen with them with the same setup (although the wireless weren't HD3s obviously, they were Motorola).

Thanks.

andyross

Re: 3 HD3s and 1 wired phone ring issue

Post by andyross » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:38 am

I think it's due to some delay in transmitting to the handsets. I have the same issue.

loubon

Post by loubon » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:44 am

Thanks, at least I know it is not just me. I guess that makes sense. With Vonage all of the wireless phones were plugged into the home wiring rather than the way Ooma does it with the base unit. So I guess it is like having two phone networks talking to each other hence the delay. But I would have thought having the phone jack in that back of the base unit would have eliminated that.

Would love to hear if anyone in a similar situation has found a way to fix that.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:34 am

The HD3s have nothing to do with the phone jack in the back. They are connected by a radio signal on a DECT 6 frequency. When the phone starts to ring the Telo has to wait for the second ring to start before it can ring an HD3 with the caller ID available. Caller ID is received by the Telo between the first and second ring. The wired phone can interpret it as it comes in. The HD3s must wait for the Telo to interpret the caller ID and then send it using the protocol used between the Telo and the HD3s.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

loubon

Post by loubon » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:11 pm

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation!

andyross

Post by andyross » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:03 am

It's not just the Caller ID delay. The actual ringing ping-pongs between wired and wireless. Another guess is that it can only 'ring' one type at a time.