Using third party DECT handset

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
dsg10715
Using third party DECT handset

Post by dsg10715 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:12 am

I know this is a lame question but I tried searching and finding too much conflicting information on this topic.

I have a newer Telo, and it has been working just fine. I wanted to hook up a DECT phone to it to reduce traffic on wifi interference.

I checked with Ooma chat and they said all DECT handsets worked with the base. So I bought a Gigaset phone (I am in Europe).

I couldn't get it to connect with PIN's or DECT. I tried the phone with another base and it worked in a minute, so it wasn't the phone.

I called Ooma support and they told me it will only work with HD3 and nothing else. I searched this forum and people seem to be using many other brands with their Telo.

What am I doing wrong here?

murphy

Re: Using third party DECT handset

Post by murphy » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:32 am

Only Ooma handsets will connect directly to the Telo via DECT 6.

If you buy a complete cordless phone system and connect the base station to the phone jack on the Telo, that will also work. It can be DECT, 5.8 GHz, 2.4 GHz, 900 MHz or whatever is available. To my knowledge no manufacturers handsets connect to another manufacturer's base station no matter what frequency is used.

You could also connect the cordless phone system to the phone jack on an Ooma Linx that is paired to the Telo via DECT 6.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dsg10715

Re: Using third party DECT handset

Post by dsg10715 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:07 am

thanks. for the record in Europe the Fritz box accepts other DECT handsets other than it's own - but sadly I will have to wait to get a HD3 I guess. thank you for the info