Caller ID Name is wrong

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
mcoley
Caller ID Name is wrong

Post by mcoley » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:40 am

I have an old Telo Hub - still working! I just connected some new Panasonic cordless phones to the Telo and they work just fine. I used my cell phone to call the Telo phone number and it rang and connected just fine. The caller ID on the Panasonic cordless phone shows my cell phone number but someone else's name! I did some googling and used multiple reverse phone number lookup tools. Some of them show my name, and some of them show the other name. What the heck? I have owned this same cell phone number for 20+ years.

Doing some research leads me to believe that either ATT Wireless (my carrier) has messed up cname info or Ooma needs to get an update from ATT. Is there any way to get Ooma to check from their end?

Thanks,
Mike

murphy

Re: Caller ID Name is wrong

Post by murphy » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:37 pm

CNAME is not transmitted. The receiving phone company takes the incoming number and looks up the name in the database that they subscribe to. Ooma's database probably needs to be updated.

First check your contact list in your Ooma account. If your number is in there that will override everything else.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx