Interfering with Internet

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
the.rogovins
Interfering with Internet

Post by the.rogovins » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:51 pm

Has anyone experienced problems with Ooma losing a connection when the Internet is up or worse, causing all connected devices (both ethernet and wifi) to lose internet even though the router shows that the net is working? Attached is my set up. Something is causing us to periodically lose Internet. Trying to troubleshoot. Sometimes it happens when the desktop attached to the wifi router sleeps. But also when it is off. relocated wireless mouse away from wifi router to see if that caused the problem (but note that the ethernet connections also are lost). Today, The ooma turned red, then blue, then red but the rest of the net stayed up. Wondering if it is the Ooma causing the outages.....
Attachments
Home Network Map.pdf
(103.92KiB)Downloaded 295 times

murphy

Re: Interfering with Internet

Post by murphy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:50 pm

You have three routers. The first one (Cisco) should be used as a router. The other two should be in switch/wireless access point mode.

If you don't know how to do that.
Disable the DHCP server and don't connect anything to the WAN port.
There is more configuration that can be done but those are the requirements.

My router is near the center of the house. There is one configured as above at one end of the house in the Living room. The other one is in the garage at the opposite end of the house.

Please tell me that all three are not being used as routers using the same subnet (192.168.1.x).
That would result in routing problems that would make it appear that the internet was down.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

the.rogovins

Re: Interfering with Internet

Post by the.rogovins » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:24 am

The Cisco acts as router for ethernet connections and DHCP server; WiFi is disabled. The TP Link Archer is the primary WiFi router. The Apple is set up as a WAP, and uses the same network name. The Cisco and TP Link have different subnet IP addresses (I actually cannot reach the TP Link interface over the net while it is connected to the Cisco router even though they have different addresses).