blocking caller that is not text (number only)

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
dward51a
blocking caller that is not text (number only)

Post by dward51a » Tue May 24, 2022 11:41 am

Is there a way to block an incoming call (or send to VM) where the caller ID number is shown as only a number and no text name? A lot of the spoof calls we are getting lately are just showing a number apparently to get around the anonymous call blocking. Yes the will probably just spoof a name, but it might filter out some of the less determined ones. I am on a premier subscription already.

I tried using the begins with filter and using each number 0-9, but that blocked everything even if they were in my contacts list.

I don't understand why the carriers are not stopping this spoofing crap. They have to know the true source vs the caller id spoofed source and are allowing this to happen. Probably making money off it too. I would submit that spoofing is already a crime in probably 99% of the states (computer forgery). I know it is in GA, but the carriers don't bother to assist in enforcing it.

Robek

Re: blocking caller that is not text (number only)

Post by Robek » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:54 pm

Caller ID spoofing is generally legal in the U.S., unless done "with the intent to defraud, cause harm, or wrongfully obtain anything of value". The caller can only spoof the number, not the name. The receiving carrier supplies the name, typically by performing a database lookup using the given number.

I had also tried to block calls where the name starts with a digit, but I didn't notice for quite a while after that, that only calls from my Contacts list were getting through. I don't know which entries blocked which calls during that time, because the Call Logs don't keep track of that information.

I did some more testing by calling my phone while adding/deleting block list entries. I also asked customer support if they could confirm whether I created the block list entries correctly, and if they could debug the entries on their end.

Instead, they suggested that I delete/disable all of my other block list entries/options, to rule them out as possible suspects. That didn't help, and I wasn't getting anywhere with the name=number entries, so I just deleted them again, for the time being. I may spend some more time with them later on. Or not.