Using Ooma Home Phone App for Private 2nd line

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
TrudiRhynold
Using Ooma Home Phone App for Private 2nd line

Post by TrudiRhynold » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:53 am

In this article on the ooma website, https://www.ooma.ca/blog/ooma-customers ... le-phones/ it is described how I can use the Ooma Home Phone app for a 2nd line/number. I have just purchased the Premier subscription service, and have set up a 2nd number and private account it is associated with. Ooma claims I should receive a 2nd login for this new private account, but I don't know how to use it. I have the Ooma Home Phone app set up on my cell phone, but when trying to use the new 2nd number to log in, it tells me I have to use my primary number. If I do, within the app, there is no way to configure it to receive calls from this new number. I can make outgoing calls using it, but incoming doesn't seem to show up. On the website, in the phone numbers page, I can assign the 2nd number to the new private account, but there is no "device" I can use since my cellphone with the app does not show up there. Does anyone know what to do? This has been a total nightmare to configure.

larryk

Re: Using Ooma Home Phone App for Private 2nd line

Post by larryk » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:10 am

In your other post you stated that you want the 2nd number to ring on a separate telephone for your mother. To get the 2nd number to ring on a separate phone you have to assign it to a device (not the telo), which at the moment you do not have, this is where the Ooma Linx comes into play. You assign the linx to the second number in your web based account, and it just works... It really is pretty easy, but until you have the device to play with it is hard to visualize. There may be other ways to do this, but I know this works. I originally bought the Linx to use on a fax machine, but faxing and voip really don't get along very well, so it still hooked up that way, but it doesn't get any use any more, and I never give out that number. I just called it from my cell and that call came thought just fine.

Robek

Re: Using Ooma Home Phone App for Private 2nd line

Post by Robek » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:14 pm

The referenced article describes adding a phone line to a smartphone. The first line is from the cellular provider phone plan for the smartphone itself. The second line would be from the Ooma mobile app, which currently only supports using Ooma's primary number to forward or make calls.

One option that doesn't require either the mobile app or a private account, is to just set up the call forwarding preferences to forward calls from one number to the Telo home phone, and forward calls from the other number to the cell phone.

Another option is to assign the Telo device and secondary number to a private account, and then forward calls from the primary number to the Ooma mobile app (or cell phone). To swap primary/secondary numbers, contact Ooma support.

The Ooma Linx is useful for connecting telephony devices that require a phone jack, such as a landline phone or fax, but it doesn't work with cell phones or the mobile app.