No longer works correctly after new WiFi card

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
GeneTakovic
No longer works correctly after new WiFi card

Post by GeneTakovic » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:46 am

There are a lot of strange details here. My original set up was my Ooma plugged into the ethernet port on my PC and an external phone/answering machine plugged into it. Worked fine for the last couple years.

A couple days ago I installed a new WiFi card in my computer which kind of (but not really) disabled the ethernet port on my computer. Strangely, the Ooma still receives calls but the external phone does not receive the calls and so it just goes to the Ooma voicemail. This is 100% related to the new WiFi card because when I disable it, everything works normal again. I can deal with it this way BUT the play button that flashes when there is a new voicemail does not work to playback the message. When I press it, it beeps and the Ooma symbol blinks purple but nothing else happens.

I read that there was a way to have the Ooma automatically email me an mp3 when a voicemail comes in but I am finding no such option on the dashboard, other than manually doing manually each time from the ooma website.

Another strange thing started happening a few weeks ago. When I call my home line, I never hear a ring tone on the outgoing phone. There is just silence for the duration of the rings and then the voicemail message comes on.

larryk

Re: No longer works correctly after new WiFi card

Post by larryk » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:46 am

Your Ooma "should" be plugged into a port on your router, not your PC...

GeneTakovic

Re: No longer works correctly after new WiFi card

Post by GeneTakovic » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:40 pm

The router is in a completely different part of the house, on top of cabinets, so not the least bit convenient to have the Ooma there. It always picked up the internet through the computer's ethernet port, and it still does, just that the external phone connected to it no longer works for some reason, but only because of the new config. If I revert back, then it works. Makes no sense to me.