Handset not detecting incoming calls after last update

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
rxd
Handset not detecting incoming calls after last update

Post by rxd » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:22 pm

Wondering if this is a widespread issue or just specific to me.

Since the last update which was pushed last week, my Telo handsets are no longer detecting incoming calls. I tested quite a few times with my cell phone. I can still make outgoing calls with any of the handsets. I've also noticed that if I'm temporarily in Settings > Ringer Pattern > External Ring with a handset, it will detect the call and that handset will ring. However once the handset is back to the home screen, it will stop detecting any incoming calls. From my cell phone, if I let the call ring, it eventually goes to the ooma voice mail.

Telo was bought in October 2022 and had been working fine otherwise. If you're wondering whether you have the last update, I also noticed that the new display default for the handset is to turn the screen off automatically after 30 seconds when off the base. I'm assuming this is probably to save battery power.

Skiuseme

Re: Handset not detecting incoming calls after last update

Post by Skiuseme » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:30 pm

I'm having the same issues, purchased the Ooma Telo Air 2 with 3 HD3 handsets Jan.2023, been find until the last update.
I can not receive incoming phone calls, no display or ring tones, outgoing calls OK. I have been working with Ooma support and tech support for six days for many hours by phone calls with Ooma. The support staffs at Ooma has very terrible communication skills, they need more training before being allow to talk to customers. I was provided with a reference number on my first calls about my phone issues, using the reference number only tells the support tech that I having issue with not receiving incoming calls but does not show the support tech what have been tested to correct the problems. They have no clues what the previous techs had me try before, I have to to explain the issues all over again each time I call. They do not have any notes from the previous phone calls with customers using the reference / case number. What a waste of time and effort when you call back about the phone issues. I been on the phone with Ooma for 6 working days and many hours trying to get this issue of no incoming calls. They send me 1 new HD3 headset and I registered and the new phone works. I call Ooma back and told the new phone fixed the issue, try to get Ooma to sent me 2 more HD3 handset...easy..NO!.. they asked me what is the problem with the 2 other HD3 phones. While talking with the support techs the calls would drop and they do not call back with the cell phone number I provided. Issue still not fix. I have to call back and wait to talk to a support tech and start all over with my phone issue. Will update when my issue is solved hopefully soon. The Ooma products works wonderful, they just need better trained tech support staffs.

rxd

Re: Handset not detecting incoming calls after last update

Post by rxd » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:19 pm

Just providing an update in case other users run into the same issue.

The day after I posted the forum message, I ended up calling support and the issue got escalated to the engineering team. Someone contacted me 2 days later, and they did a couple of resets, unregister/register handsets. Then, they called me 3 times to test, and both Telo handsets rang successfully. Based on their explanation, it sounds like the firmware update failed, but the strange thing is that they can see that the handset already had the update. So, at this point, I thought I was all set.

Later on, I noticed no phone ring for most of the day, so I called the Ooma number with my cell phone to test. The Telo handsets did not ring. I used a 2nd cell phone that I have for work, called the Ooma number and it rang. We did a couple more tests with other phones and the Telo handsets would sometimes ring and sometimes not. I called support again. Turns out I had some pictures saved for several entries in the Ooma address book. They had me delete the entire address book entry for my cell phone and then recreate it without a picture. When I tested it again from my cell phone, the Telo handset rang. So for now, as a workaround they suggested removing the picture from entries in the address book. They said the engineering team is working on the "picture" issue and will provide an update when there is a solution.