Can't get my Telo 2 to monitor voicemails

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
alanm2526
Can't get my Telo 2 to monitor voicemails

Post by alanm2526 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:30 am

I have had my Ooma service for several years now. I have the Telo 2 base, and everything had been working well until a couple months ago, when I noticed that my voicemail monitoring was not working. I checked the settings in my account and the box for voicemail monitoring is checked. To be certain, I unchecked it, then rechecked it, and clicked on save. I then called my Ooma line from my cell phone and waited until the call rolled to voicemail. I left a voicemail, but could not hear it either through my Ooma Telo base or through my HD2 Handset. The voicemail played correctly when I hit the play button on my Telo, so the volume setting is OK there.

I tried chatting with technical support at Ooma, and ended up getting a phone call from a service person. He told me that I should just unplug power from the Telo, wait about 30 seconds, then reconnect, and the Telo would get the settings from my account, but after I did that, I have the same problem: I cannot hear any voicemails that are being recorded. However, I can hear them just fine when I hit the play button after the caller has finished and hangs up.

I even tried a factory reset through the setup.ooma.com connection to the Telo base. After I did the factory reset, the Telo went through its normal process and it took a while to download the latest firmware update, but after I got the blue light, I called from my cell phone again and - same problem! When I look at my account settings (either on the web access at my.ooma.com or via my cell phone Ooma app), the Voicemail Monitoring box is checked. And, the volume on my Telo base is not turned down, since I can easily hear the voicemail after I hit the play key. I just cannot actually monitor voicemails as they are being left.

Robek

Re: Can't get my Telo 2 to monitor voicemails

Post by Robek » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:31 pm

Enabling call forwarding to the mobile app apparently disables voicemail monitoring, at least for the primary number. Enabling Do Not Disturb mode also disables voicemail monitoring, (although in that case, the Telo logo would be purple, not blue).

alanm2526

Re: Can't get my Telo 2 to monitor voicemails

Post by alanm2526 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:27 pm

Robek,

Thanks for your reply! This is a very odd way of doing things - the app is pretty much supposed to let you take all the features of your service with you; but in this case, it disables a useful feature on BOTH the Telo box and the cell phone app.

Now that I have changed the settings in my account as shown in the other post you linked, I will have to see if my cell phone will give me any indication if a call is coming into my cell number or my Ooma number.