how 2-factor authentication?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
ckollars
how 2-factor authentication?

Post by ckollars » Fri May 19, 2023 8:24 pm

I have xFinity connected to a cable modem which is in turn connected to a Linksys LRT214 router, which branches to my Ooma Telo unit as well as to several PCs. The router has the usual anything-out/nothing-in firewall, with no DMZ, no port forwarding, and no rules in addition to the built in ones. It's been this way for over a year. (Almost) everything works just fine: ring, dial tone, voice mail, good voice quality both ways. Our Ooma phone is the house landline, and we've been receiving and making all calls with no special procedures.

One thing doesn't work though. When I use a website that wants to use 2-factor authentication, I ask it to call my Ooma number and say the code (note I make no attempt to use Text Messaging). IT NEVER RINGS. Perusal of the error logs suggest nothing relevant was filtered out - it's like something about the call was rejected before it ever got to me.

Different sets of instructions from different times recommend different port forwarding rules for Ooma ...the latest Quick Setup Guide from Ooma suggests _no_ port forwarding is necessary. And indeed everything (except 2-factor authentication) works fine without any port forwarding at all. As a test though I temporarily reconfigured my router to forward ALL ports -both TCP and UDP- to the Ooma unit, but doing so made no difference at all.

Why doesn't 2-factor authentication work for my Ooma Telo?

Robek

Re: how 2-factor authentication?

Post by Robek » Mon May 22, 2023 5:56 pm

Nomorobo often blocks these numbers, for some reason. If call blocking is enabled, then temporarily disable it, and try the two-factor authentication again. If that works, then add the number to the Contacts list (to whitelist it, so it doesn't get blocked again), and then re-enable call blocking.

ckollars

Re: how 2-factor authentication?

Post by ckollars » Tue May 23, 2023 6:41 pm

Thanks!!! In my case it wasn't even nomorobo, but something like the name starting with "Toll Free..."; doesn't matter. What does matter is that your procedure solved my problem flawlessly: turn call blocking clear off, do 2-factor authentication procedure which will now succeed, get calling number from Call Log and '"whitelist" it by creating a Contact for it, then put call blocking back like it used to be ("High" in my case). After far too much "bang head here" when faced with a brick wall, having a straightforward solution work was wonderful! Thanks again!