"You have reached a number that has been disconnected"

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
RRR7
"You have reached a number that has been disconnected"

Post by RRR7 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:05 pm

When Ooma changed the dialing protocol awhile back to comply with 911 standards, I reprogrammed my phone to add the area code prefix to local calls. Everything worked fine.

But two days ago I started getting "You have reached a number that has been disconnected" messages whenever I called a number within my area code. I have since realized that I now need to add "1" as a prefix.

Why did Ooma make this additional change without telling anyone?

And why did support just disconnect me on live chat when I described the problem? The support phone number was of no use because I couldn't talk to a person.

Robek

Re: "You have reached a number that has been disconnected"

Post by Robek » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:31 am

The remote carrier is providing the recorded error message. Ooma didn't change this. The NANPA changed this, probably to accommodate a new area code overlay, or a new 3-digit service code (such as 988). Different areas have different rules regarding the number of digits required to complete a domestic call.

Ooma live chat is best used for more frequently asked questions. For questions that don't require interactive troubleshooting, talking to a live person is not necessary; in those cases, contacting Ooma by email may be preferable to trying to contact them by phone.