Ooma is overriding my phone and taking voice mails

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
janner
Ooma is overriding my phone and taking voice mails

Post by janner » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:48 pm

I have a Uniden phone, with a built-in answering machine, set to two rings. For the past few weeks, when my phone rings, even if I pick it up mid 2nd ring, I get disconnected from whoever was calling and get a dial tone. Then a few minutes later, the message light on my second cordless phone starts blinking, and the red right facing arrow on the Telo also blinks - both indicating I have a voice mail message on My Ooma.
So I just checked it out myself, twice. Dialed my Ooma number with my cell phone, Uniden rang twice, then my own answering machine message started to play. Meanwhile, phone was still ringing as I listed on my cell phone, then the Ooma answering machine message kicked in "(My number) can't take your call right now...please leave a message".
Why is Ooma doing this? And how do I stop it from happening anymore?
I am missing important calls and having to waste my time firing up my computer and logging into MyOoma to hear the message. A message which either shouldn't even need to exist because I was picking up my Uniden receiver on the 2nd ring or at worst should have gone to my Uniden answering machine. But in no circumstance, should my calls be going to the Ooma answering machine if I'm not currently on the phone and picking up the receiver. I don't even have upgraded Ooma service, just the basic plan. Please help!

Red Tabby

Re: Ooma is overriding my phone and taking voice mails

Post by Red Tabby » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:35 am

Hello,

If you didn’t check this already, log on my.Ooma.com

Go to Preferences
Go to Voicemail

Look at the first item which is Pickup Timeout.
If the amount of seconds entered in there is equal to, or even less than what two rings time takes, that could cause this type of problem.

I’d recommend increasing the amount of seconds to at least 20, Save the change and test it with your cell.

RT

janner

Post by janner » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:49 pm

I appreciate your reply. My pickup timeout was already set to 54 seconds (9 rings). Minimum duration was set to 3 seconds.
Called my Ooma # with my cell phone again just now, same thing is still happening. Two rings, my Uniden's phone's answering machine picks up and that message starts. However, listening on the cell phone, the call is still ringing (not getting picked up by and hearing my Uniden'phone's answering machine message), then the Ooma answering machine picks up.
Just tried it again - ringing started on my cell phone before the Uniden started ringing. Rang 2-1/2 times on my cell phone then the Ooma answering service kicked in and took the call which caused it to register as a hangup on my Uniden answering machine with just the dial tone sound getting recorded on that answering machine.
In the past two weeks, there were several times that I picked up my Uniden before the 2nd ring even finished - each time I was cut off and got a dial tone, as if the party had hung up. They had not, the Ooma answering machine had grabbed the calls.
Oh and I am unable to hear the message on my Telo device, despite the blinking red arrow. I have to log into Myooma.com in order to hear the messages.
Any other suggestions would definitely be appreciated. Thank you.

Red Tabby

Post by Red Tabby » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:13 pm

You sound knowledgeable about troubleshooting things. I’ll just throw some obvious things at you, just in case.

First, is this an old Tello or something you just started using recently as a new customer?

Have you powered down the Tello? If not, do so.

Since you have two cordless phones connected to the Tello, try removing each from the equation and try your test again. If the same issue occurs with both cordless phones disconnected, then the Tello or its power supply could be going bad.

You could also call Ooma support from your cell while both cordlesses are disconnected and the problem is still there so they can help troubleshoot. Maybe something is going wrong on their end.

Robek

Post by Robek » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:23 pm

It could also be an issue on the server side (which would require contacting Ooma's customer support), or an issue with one of the telephones. Is the second cordless phone new? What type of phone is it, and how does it connect to the Telo? Can that phone answer incoming calls, without sending them to voicemail?

The Ooma support site offers some troubleshooting tips and suggestions for listening to voicemail messages, such as checking that the Telo volume is turned up, or picking up a handset, waiting for a dial tone, and then pressing the Telo 'play' button. The 'Getting Started' section also lists some other voicemail options.