Voicemail for Google Voice Forwarded Incoming Call

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
sjsherratt
Voicemail for Google Voice Forwarded Incoming Call

Post by sjsherratt » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:34 am

I have a Google Voice number that forwards to my Ooma number. Calls placed to the Google Voice number forward correctly, but the Ooma Voicemail system does not pick up, rather Google Voice takes the voicemail message. I have set Ooma Voicemail settings to the minimum pick-up time. Calls placed directly to the Ooma number are answered quickly by Ooma Voicemail. However calls placed to the GV number always go to Google Voicemail. How can I get Ooma Voicemail to answer forwarded calls from Google Voice?

Note: I do see this in https://support.ooma.com/home/google-voice-extensions/ however I am not using GV extensions, and why should it matter to Ooma where the call is forwarded from ... Ooma VM should just "pick up"

Can I send calls from my Google Voice number to my Ooma voicemail?
No. Calls that come in on your Google Voice phone number and go to voicemail will be connected to your Google Voice voicemail.

Red Tabby

Re: Voicemail for Google Voice Forwarded Incoming Call

Post by Red Tabby » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:57 am

Here is something to try if you haven’t already. Add your GV number into your Ooma Contacts.

It’s possible that the GV number is marked as spam somehow out in the world and if Ooma sees it that way, your incoming number will be ignored - depending on how your call blocking is set. Continuous Ring could maybe cause the behavior that you’re seeing.

Yes, strange idea from me but it’s worth trying.

RT

Robek

Re: Voicemail for Google Voice Forwarded Incoming Call

Post by Robek » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:05 pm

Don't enable Google Voice Extensions, because it would turn off Ooma voicemail, in favor of Google Voice voicemail. And don't enable Google Voice call screening, because it would require a key-press before it forwards a call to Ooma; without a key-press, it would route the call to Google Voice voicemail instead.