Ooma HD3 Handset hangs up during call

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
drennman
Ooma HD3 Handset hangs up during call

Post by drennman » Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:18 pm

I have been having problems with my HD3 handsets - this problem never occurs with my other non-Ooma handset. I can be on a call - not even very long - when all of the sudden the handset disconnects and goes "black." The screen goes black and won't restart. Putting it back in the cradle doesn't do anything. At first, I thought it was disconnecting when I was on hold a long time, but it happens when I am talking and when there is no "silence." When it happened today, I was talking and the call wasn't longer than 5 minutes when the handset disconnected. Also the handset had been on the cradle before I made the call, so the batteries where certainly not depleted. Plus these are relatively new handsets. It happens on all 3 handsets even the one sitting in front of the Ooma Telo.

I tried customer support but couldn't get an answer.

Any ideas? Things I should try? Thanks,

Robek

Re: Ooma HD3 Handset hangs up during call

Post by Robek » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:49 am

After the HD3 screen goes black, briefly press the red 'Hangup' key. Does it display the startup sequence, (Ooma logo, "Scanning for Ooma base unit", "Connecting ...")? Does it display the Home Screen? If so, then how many bars does the 'Signal Strength Indicator' show, and how full is the 'Battery Indicator' charge level?

The Telo setup menu can also display the signal strength. If one or more handsets show a poor signal, then check for nearby devices that could generate interference, such as other wireless devices, computers, or electrical appliances. Move the Telo or handsets around to see how that affects signal strength.

If the battery charge level is lower than expected, then the handset may need new batteries. Or else the handset or base could just have dirty/corroded contacts. Some handset manufacturers recommend using a pencil eraser to clean the metal contacts; something like that could also work for the HD3.

drennman

Post by drennman » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:26 am

Thanks, Robek.

Next time the screen goes black, I will follow your instructions. Thanks, again.

drennman

Post by drennman » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:44 pm

Hi Robek,

I was put on hold and after some time the HD3 disconnected the call. I now have info on what happens.

The HD3 returns to the Home Screen. It does not scan for the base station.

The battery shows full and the connection shows 4 bars. So it is not a lost/weak connection or a weak battery.

I believe the issue is the hold. It seems to me - anyone have some advice on this?- that the HD3 thinks the phone is "off the hook" meaning that it thinks the other party has hung up and there is no longer an active call - which of course there is. It's hold music.

It is not the duration of a call as I can talk for 1-1.5 hours and the HD3 never disconnects. It only happens during a long hold cycle.

Are there any settings that can change this HD3 behavior? Continue for the HD3 to correctly know that it's still an active call? Or that I can do, like hitting the speaker phone and mute button?

It's a real problem as long holds are a reality. And having the phone disconnect is very frustrating. Anyone else having this happen? Any workarounds? Thanks.

Robek

Post by Robek » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:11 pm

If the other party hung up, then they would be "on-hook", not "off the hook". In that case, the HD3 should display "No active call" for a few seconds, then display the Home Screen for some time, according to user preferences, (see: Settings -> Display -> Off cradle settings -> Turn off after), and then turn black.

Other users have reported issues where a call disconnects when the other party is quiet for too long. Is the hold music ever interrupted with long pauses? Or if the HD3 doesn't like silence on either end, then maybe humming into the phone periodically could help.

When the other party puts the call on hold, try joining the call from a second handset (on mute), so that if one disconnects, then maybe the other won't. Or else, when a call disconnects, press the green 'Answer' key to get a dial tone, and if there is a 'Join' soft key, then press that to try re-joining an existing call.

Or, if none of that works, and customer support doesn't come up with a better answer, then it may be time to consider replacing the HD3 handsets with something else. Others here have highly recommended Panasonic telephones with cordless handsets.