Busy signal when calling my cell phone

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
cofresi1959
Busy signal when calling my cell phone

Post by cofresi1959 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:15 pm

I am trying to call my cell phone with area code 516 and it sounds busy, I call other phones with the same area code and the call goes through. I called my wife cell phone with a 917 area code and it also worked. I don't know what's preventing ooma from calling my cell phone. My cell phone is the one used on the ooma account.

Red Tabby

Re: Busy signal when calling my cell phone

Post by Red Tabby » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:10 pm

I had something similar happen where I was calling a friends cell phone for years from my Ooma number. About 6 months ago, I would get a fast busy when I called him. Nothing changed on my end.

I went into my.ooma.com / Preferences / Privacy and checked the box at 'Block Display of my caller-ID.' I called him and the call went through.

His cell is AT&T and I believe there was something that AT&T added for call blocking in which he went in and allowed calls from Ooma. That's the best I can remember about this. It sounds like your 516 cell has the same issue that my friend's cell had.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

RT

cofresi1959

Post by cofresi1959 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:38 am

Thanks for replying to my post, I will check the settings and see if it works!

cofresi1959

Post by cofresi1959 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:54 am

I looke into the Active Armor app from AT&T and in fact it was blocking my ooma number, I unblocked it and now is fine, thanks for your advice!

bob12564

Post by bob12564 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:05 am

Same situation since I started with Ooma a year ago. My cell is with AT&T. If I call from Ooma to the cell I get the fast busy signal. Some observations:

My wife's phone is also with AT&T. No problem calling her number. She is IPhone, mine is Pixel 6A with pure Android. Her cell number is a different area code than mine. I can call other numbers with the same area code as my cell.

I discovered that I had AT&T Call Protect installed. I tried to check the settings and I got the intercept that stated that the app was discontinued and that I should install Active Armor. I deleted Call Protect and did not install Active Armor.

I played with the Ooma settings as suggested. 10 digit calling was enabled. I have the basic service so I cannot change the caller ID setting. It is unchecked.

I looked at the stock Android 14 spam filtering and didn't see anything that would block my own number.

I agree with the theory that this is an AT&T issue but I don't expect any resolution from them. I did speak with Ooma about this way back when, but Ooma was unable to help. I've seen other posts about this and the common thread seems to be AT&T.