Phone trees: Outgoing touchtone sounds not working

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
DIYdude
Phone trees: Outgoing touchtone sounds not working

Post by DIYdude » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:41 am

I've had Ooma Telo (basic) for four years. Dialing out works, but "recently" outgoing touch-tones (DTMF) stopped working for making selections in receivers' phone trees (e.g., when responding to "Press 1 for ...", a.k.a. IVR). I just tested such with my cellphone as the receiver and all that comes through, from all my hardwire-connected traditional phones, is a short clunk (same sound for each time any button pressed).

I powered-down the Telo unit, then up, and it took quite a while to reboot -- I'm guessing it did an update. Phone tree tones still don't work, however.

My CC info is current with Ooma.

I did find/read this FAQ already: https://support.ooma.com/home/problems- ... uch-tones/

What's happening? Thanks.
Last edited by DIYdude on Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DIYdude

Re: Phone trees: Outgoing touchtone sounds not working

Post by DIYdude » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:09 pm

Updates (still not solved):

Found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3705&sid=085a7a6c59 ... 605a1d815f

I disconnected all wiring to the phones and Telo, powered down the Telo and modem for 3+ minutes, and rebooted. Also checked that Telo was already set to alarm mode, but resaved that "edit".

No change. Phones still do make the various DTMF tones through the ear piece, but Ooma does not send those tones to the receiver. In my latest test, my cell phone again just gets the clunking sound for each but maybe there is a slight variation in tone at the the end of each clunk. I read that Ooma converts the DTMF to something then regenerates the tones. Apparently incorrectly for me for a while.

Can others test theirs, by calling your cellphone, answering, then pressing a few number buttons on your Ooma-connected traditional touch tone phone? Thanks.

MLXXXp

Re: Phone trees: Outgoing touchtone sounds not working

Post by MLXXXp » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:41 am

DIYdude wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:09 pm
Can others test theirs, by calling your cellphone, answering, then pressing a few number buttons on your Ooma-connected traditional touch tone phone?
I tried what you suggested with an old touch-tone keypad version Contempra phone. It worked fine. I was able to call my cell phone using Contempra phone's keypad and then could hear touch-tones on my cell phone sent from the Contempra after the call was established.