Are You Happy or Unhappy with the Performance of Scout?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
MikeekiM
Are You Happy or Unhappy with the Performance of Scout?

Post by MikeekiM » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:20 pm

Just curious... Since this is going over HPNA, and everyone is pretty clear that technically, the quality suffers... In everyday use, are you happy/unhappy with your scout's performance?
Customer Since: August 2009
Ooma Hardware: Ooma Telo (Original Legacy Hub/Scout Customer)
Ooma Service: Premier Lifetime (Since October 2009)

WayneDsr

Re: Are You Happy or Unhappy with the Performance of Scout?

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:31 pm

Yes, MikeekiM, I have no issues with the Scout what so ever. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, but when I talk with the Scout phone it is as clear as the hub. Now, I do have the hub and scout directly connected and side by side so that might be the difference.

Even with 2 conversations going at the same time (hub and scout) there is no degradation of quality.
And believe it or not, I have a spare scout that I bought on Ebay and that one is just as clear.

I wonder if the scout issue may be related to bad power supplies and not bad scouts...... Just a thought.

Wayne

MikeekiM

Post by MikeekiM » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:38 pm

My experience is consistent with yours... My Scout seems to be crystal clear... I also bought an extra Scout from eBay... I won't be using it for two way communications though... I bought it to feed CallerID to my two DVRs in my living room...

Not sure it's worth the money just to feed CID to the DVR display... Anyone else doing this?

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:51 pm

Can you plug the phone port off the ooma hub into your wall jacks and feed the whole house? Then you could plug your dvr into any wall jack without the scout.

Wayne

dtalwar

Post by dtalwar » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:34 pm

I have Scout on a different floor and it seems to work great ... perhaps not as great as the Hub but the difference in quality is hardly noticeable.

MikeekiM, What DVRs do you have? I have a cable (Comcast) DVR. I was wondering if that DVR would display the Caller Id.

oomg

Post by oomg » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:43 pm

MikeekiM wrote:Just curious... Since this is going over HPNA, and everyone is pretty clear that technically, the quality suffers... In everyday use, are you happy/unhappy with your scout's performance?
I have 2 Scouts connected thorugh interior wiring in home, and a third one near the Hub which is located at my desk. A six station cordless phone system in connected to the Hub, and a second four station cordless system has a base station connected to one of the Scouts using the interior wiring. A third cordless phone is attached to a Scout which is in my son's room. The Scout in my office is assigned to my second line, and for the most part, serves as my private line. All phones, whether connected to the Hub or Scout seem to work very well.

For what it is worth, I had a separate incoming line which carries the DSL over my one remaining AT&T line (which I use as a back up line when power, internet, and/or have failed. Where I live, we had gone for years with only an occasional power loss. For some reason, during May of this year, we experienced four separate power outages each of which was a fairly significant duration. Since then; everthing has been fine. The ooma product has proven to be sufficiently reliable that I am thinking of cutting back to the absolute basic AT&T service, just to maintain some back up for emergency.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

MikeekiM

Post by MikeekiM » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:30 pm

WayneDsr wrote:Can you plug the phone port off the ooma hub into your wall jacks and feed the whole house? Then you could plug your dvr into any wall jack without the scout.

Wayne
Unfortunately, I have my backup landline hanging off my wiring... So I can't really do that Though I guess I could add an extra set of wiring to support that! :) Sounds like something that I might procrastinate on though... :)

MikeekiM

Post by MikeekiM » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:31 pm

dtalwar wrote:I have Scout on a different floor and it seems to work great ... perhaps not as great as the Hub but the difference in quality is hardly noticeable.

MikeekiM, What DVRs do you have? I have a cable (Comcast) DVR. I was wondering if that DVR would display the Caller Id.
I am running 1 DirecTV TiVo (no CallerID support), and 2 DirecTV HD-DVRs (HR20 and HR21)... Both of these support CallerID display...

t4feb

Post by t4feb » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:47 am

I have the scout setting next to the hub and run 2 different phones with 3 numbers 2 on the scout and 1 for the hub. Each phone rings separate and it works like a charm. So I can say HAPPY with the scout.
Terry

MakoCSH

Post by MakoCSH » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:33 am

Our Scouts sound quality is terrible (very scratchy). We only use it for listening to voice mail.