Are You Happy or Unhappy with the Performance of Scout?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
daet
Re: Are You Happy or Unhappy with the Performance of Scout?

Post by daet » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:17 am

Works great. No problems with sound quality. And the wiring between the hub and scout is about 15-20 years old and about 80-100 feet in length. The hub and scout are on different floors - one of which was partly flooded during Katrina - but only the last 10 feet or so of the wiring is new.

DG
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

thbjr

Post by thbjr » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:20 am

MakoCSH wrote:Our Scouts sound quality is terrible (very scratchy). We only use it for listening to voice mail.
I had the same problem when I had DSL hooked up. the loony toon that connected me lit up every wall jack in the house with DSL. Long story short, because of the way it was connected, my DSL modem wouldn't connect and because the scout was plugged into the wall, it was terrible. another technition came out and rewired the interface box correctly, with the cat5 that had been previously installed to 1 wall port for the modem and the rest of the houes phone jacks were then clear on the scout. I also use the house wired jacks to get CID to my DirecTV recievers.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:26 am

This is just a gut feeling, but if I had a scout that sounded scratchy, like some do, I would look for a different power suppy, perhaps from Radio Shack and experiment with that.

Wayne

MakoCSH

Post by MakoCSH » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:12 am

thbjr wrote:
MakoCSH wrote:Our Scouts sound quality is terrible (very scratchy). We only use it for listening to voice mail.
I had the same problem when I had DSL hooked up.
We have cable, and are disconnected from the grid so no chance of interference from the phone company.
WayneDsr wrote:This is just a gut feeling, but if I had a scout that sounded scratchy, like some do, I would look for a different power suppy, perhaps from Radio Shack and experiment with that.
Hmmm...I didn't think of that. I may try that one day. We have a phone with multiple handsets connected to the hub so we really don't need the scout anyway.

Lakeo

Post by Lakeo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:37 am

I have both a hub and scout hooked to my active land line. Because of wiring logistics the scout powers our main wireless phone system. The hub is used as a second line.

Although I can't really do a side by side comparison of the hub and scout quality, the scout works well and I have no complaints about the sound quality.

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:45 am

I have my Scout connected directly to my hub through a spare pair in my cabling. It works perfectly and is crystal clear (I assume because of the direct wired approach which has nothing else riding over it. ) The hub is in the basement and the Scout is in the kitchen. My cabling is made up of cat5 home runs from the basement to each room in the house.

StevenJohn

Post by StevenJohn » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:43 am

I have my scout connected to line two back to hub. Then scout feeds line one house phones. The caller sometimes mentions that I sound scratchy. I just use this setup mostly to answer a second call or to check VM from scout. Hub is in another room and feeds cordless phones. I would guess that 95% of calls go to hub.

I wish it wasn't scratchy. I may try another power supply as Wayne suggested. Then again, it may be my 30 year old wiring. I'm glad I have it.

sj

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:45 am

Go AVS!

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:43 pm

I have my hub and scout in different parts of the house, connected through my active landline wiring, and a second scout in the bedroom just for retrieving voicemail messages. A third scout is located in the basement for my second number. The first scout is for the instant second line on my main number. Each phone is crystal clear, clearer than my landline which is on Verizon Fios. Most of my home wiring is Cat 5 and some of it is the older 4-wire phone cable. It is all run in homerun configuration to a punchblock in the basement.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset
Lifetime Premier Subscriber

mrjagster

Post by mrjagster » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:31 am

My scout is located on different floor and serves as the main house line .My wife wouldn't put up with any issues, so I'm happy to report she is happy and the scout's sound quality matches my land line.

The scout is connected over regular house phone lines with the exception that I could not get it to work in the kitchen. It does work from all other house jacks.
ooma customer since September 2007
ooma hardware: Telo
Lifetime Premier Member