connecting to existing wall phone jack

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
charlus
connecting to existing wall phone jack

Post by charlus » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:56 am

If this can help in using the Scout device:
We previously had DSL/phone service through Earthlink. In order to use Ooma we set up a faster cable internet connection and had our number ported. We then asked Earthlink to cancel our DSL/phone service before using the Scout. This is where the problem appeared: our phone line, even without any service on it, was still carrying 48 volts and giving a busy signal on the phone. The Scout would not work properly. I had to disconnect the incoming phone line at the main jack so that the network inside our home would be completely separated from any outside interference. Scout is now working fine.

hpepper

Re: connecting to existing wall phone jack

Post by hpepper » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:20 am

I think this is just one of many reasons Ooma wants to get rid of HPNA and went with wireless for the second line with the new Telo.

niknak

Post by niknak » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:32 am

...I had to disconnect the incoming phone line at the main jack so that the network inside our home would be completely separated from any outside interference. Scout is now working fine...
this is what the setup directions reccmmmend doing

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:59 am

charlus wrote:If this can help in using the Scout device:
We previously had DSL/phone service through Earthlink. In order to use Ooma we set up a faster cable internet connection and had our number ported. We then asked Earthlink to cancel our DSL/phone service before using the Scout. This is where the problem appeared: our phone line, even without any service on it, was still carrying 48 volts and giving a busy signal on the phone. The Scout would not work properly. I had to disconnect the incoming phone line at the main jack so that the network inside our home would be completely separated from any outside interference. Scout is now working fine.
Some telcos give what is called a "soft" dialtone on discontinued lines. What that means is you can call only two numbers with that line - 911 and their own order center. It is always best to disconnect your internal wiring from the telco lines when using any VOIP service (ulness you have DSL and there are recommendations for that as well). If you leave your line connected to the telco's wiring and feed your own signal on your house wiring you basically "backfeed" your signal and risk your privacy as well as possible damage to your equipment. I also recommend a specific way of doing it for easy restoration if needed. The network demarcation box outside your house will have one or more jacks with either a litle wire with a phone plug or a hinged plug for each line. After unplugging your line place a tag on the wire that says, "Attention. DO NOT CONNECT internal wiring to network to prevent damage to customer provided equipment." :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.