New user: Cannot call out / can receive incoming calls

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
shikarishambu
New user: Cannot call out / can receive incoming calls

Post by shikarishambu » Fri May 16, 2008 5:50 pm

I got my Ooma device today. Worked with support to get it installed - needs a temporary number until my current Vonage gets ported. That took care of the solid blue light.

However, I cannot make outgoing calls. Incoming calls come in fine. Waiting on Ooma support/ engineering to help. I don't even hear the tone dialing happen, insterad I get a tone as if I left my phone off hook for a while.

Modem: Motorola Surfboard
Phone:Uniden 5.8GHz cordless
ooma user since May 2008
still on the original white hub

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Re: New user: Cannot call out / can receive incoming calls

Post by Dennis P » Fri May 16, 2008 11:21 pm

This may sound basic, but have you tried dialing all 11 digits (1+Area Code+Last 7 Digits)? Depending on whether or not your temporary number is in the same area code as before, the dialing rules may be different (ie, you may have been able to dial 7 or 10 digits before). Safest thing is to try 11 digits first to make sure that works.

shikarishambu

Post by shikarishambu » Sat May 17, 2008 4:35 am

Chalk this one to ID10T (idiot) issues category.

I think I had two issues
1) I was not always dialing 11 digits. In these situations you get a tone as if you have left the phone offhook for a long time

2) Ooma unlike Vonage does not require me to press Talk on my Uniden phone twice - once to mark it "off hook" and second time to send the dial out. Doing so basically meant I was hanging up.

PS: You may want to include the 11 digit dialing tip in the "Getting Started" and "User Guide"
ooma user since May 2008
still on the original white hub

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Sat May 17, 2008 9:56 am

Good idea. We'll add it to the next rev of the user guide.

Your comment about how you have to press talk twice on Vonage is an interesting one. I'm not sure why you had to do this. I'll see if I can recreate.