forced to use landline for local calls

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
jkb
forced to use landline for local calls

Post by jkb » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:01 am

If I correctly read the reply to another post, when Ooma is used in conjunction with a landline, all calls made to the local calling area will be made over the landline. This feature defeats one of the main reasons I chose Ooma, cost savings. My goal is to limit outgoing calls on the landline since AT&T (local providor) charges a higher rate for unlimited outgoing calls. My objective was to change from the aforementioned higher rate plan to a rate plan that charges for each outgoing call. The dollar savings would be over $25 per month, thus allowing a payoff of the Ooma device within a year.
I was particularly attracted to Ooma as VOIP provider because it allows a landline to be used as a backup. This is important to me as I rely on a medic alert system (think of the "I've fallen and can't get up" commercial).
Is there a work around?

Soundjudgment

Re: forced to use landline for local calls

Post by Soundjudgment » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:27 pm

The Ooma Hub box is a sophisticated VoIP switchbox. You can CHOOSE to have it dial out even your LOCAL calls through your fast-internet connection, even if you have to keep the old telephone service working for some specialty device. Also, using a simple RJ11 Splitter jack, you can force any specialty device to dial out on existing copper phone-lines and forgo that device ever using the Ooma Hub altogether.

So yes, with the right setup you can stop spending money on making the local / long-distance phone calls, and only use the specialty-device for any 911 emergencies. Ooma gives you control over how you wish to do it. Customer Service can help with the provisioning of your new Ooma system. Enjoy!
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>