TIP: Limits of Telo when using non-Ooma 2-line phones

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
amoney
Re: TIP: Limits of Telo when using non-Ooma 2-line phones

Post by amoney » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:07 pm

jeffthechemist wrote:I think I currently have the setup you are refering to and have had no issues. I have a 2-line Uniden, a standard Verizon line, and a Telo. A traditional 2-line phone cord has four wires. It has been a while since I set this up, but I think the 2 inside wires are for line 1 and the 2 outside wires are for line 2. On the board in the basement where the Verizon line comes in, there are 2 lines (4 wires) that are distributed to the house on one side, and the inputs for those lines on the other side. I have the bare wires from the incoming Verizon line connected to line 1, a phone cord with bare wires on one end connecting the Telo to line 2, and a 2-line Uniden connected using a 4-wire telephone cord between a house jack and the 1/2 port on the back of the phone. Installing the Telo was seemless because my second line has been a VOIP line for 3 years, although I had 3 different providers (SunRocket - bankrupt, Packet8 - hated the interface, and CallVantage - closed).

At this moment, my internet connection is being used for a VOIP call on Ring Central so I can not start pulling things apart and confirming some of the items in this thread, but I can post again tomorrow after I can take a closer look at the back of the Telo. But I can confirm that both lines are working properly, with CallerID on both lines and a working voice mail indicator on the Telo line.

11/22 UPDATE: I just finished porting my Verizon line yesterday, so I now have 2 numbers on the Telo and no more land line :D . I used a 4-wire phone cord from the Telo to the line 1 and line 2 jacks on interface board in the basement. It works very nicely with only one current caveat: I only have one device (the Telo), so I only have one voicemail box. I should be able to fix this once the handsets are available. The appropriate line will ring when the number is dialed, and it will support a phone call on each of the 2 lines without a problem. Looking forward to the updates on Dec 1 and the availability of the handset.

I have reread this post a few times now, does anyone else interpretting it the same way as I am, can this be possible, Telo feeding a second pair? I am not sure I am reading it correctly... I understand the wiring, but I thought the Teo only has 1 pair.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:28 pm

amoney wrote:I have reread this post a few times now, does anyone else interpretting it the same way as I am, can this be possible, Telo feeding a second pair? I am not sure I am reading it correctly... I understand the wiring, but I thought the Teo only has 1 pair.
The Telo can not support a second pair. He is talking about assigning the second number to an Ooma handset.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

amoney

Post by amoney » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:59 pm

murphy wrote:
amoney wrote:I have reread this post a few times now, does anyone else interpretting it the same way as I am, can this be possible, Telo feeding a second pair? I am not sure I am reading it correctly... I understand the wiring, but I thought the Teo only has 1 pair.
The Telo can not support a second pair. He is talking about assigning the second number to an Ooma handset.
The last paragraph confused me where he said...
I used a 4-wire phone cord from the Telo to the line 1 and line 2 jacks on interface board in the basement......
By all accounts 2 lines is not possible, but the way he said it is quite the tease. Naturally it would not be the first time a post was miscommunicated. I understood how he had his 2 line phone system work prior to the PORT.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

9204wilson

Post by 9204wilson » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:28 am

Maybe I am a bit confused here, but I have a 2 line wired telephone. Into that, I have plugged 1 land line which we kept and the Ooma Teleo which right now has two lines. It works great. When activating the Ooma on Christmas day, I chose not to integrate the land line with the Telo. I can take and recieve phone calls from the land line or either of the Telo lines and my wife can be on the land line while I am on one or both of the Telo lines. If I am talking on the Telo line and a call comes in on the land line, I can put the telo line on hold using the telepnone (not the Telo unit) and then go back to the original phone call on the Telo line. I have not once gotten a phantom phone call. The system works great. The 2 line telephone I am using is an AT&T 982 2 line with speaker phone.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:36 am

9204wilson wrote:Maybe I am a bit confused here, but I have a 2 line wired telephone. Into that, I have plugged 1 land line which we kept and the Ooma Teleo which right now has two lines. It works great. When activating the Ooma on Christmas day, I chose not to integrate the land line with the Telo. I can take and recieve phone calls from the land line or either of the Telo lines and my wife can be on the land line while I am on one or both of the Telo lines. If I am talking on the Telo line and a call comes in on the land line, I can put the telo line on hold using the telepnone (not the Telo unit) and then go back to the original phone call on the Telo line. I have not once gotten a phantom phone call. The system works great. The 2 line telephone I am using is an AT&T 982 2 line with speaker phone.
Your configuration works fine.
What you can't do is get rid of you land line and have access to the 2 lines that are on the Telo using the same setup.
The Telo only brings the first line out to a phone jack.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx