TIP: Limits of Telo when using non-Ooma 2-line phones

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
briguy
Re: TIP: Limits of Telo when using non-Ooma 2-line phones

Post by briguy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:34 pm

Forum peoples,

I got my Telo yesterday and am up an running with it. It's nifty indeed.

BUT, we have two landlines coming in with separate numbers and voicemailboxes and use a 2-line Uniden with base and 3 handsets all over the house. We both do a LOT of phone-based work from home and also receive and make private calls.

I have asked to have one of our numbers ported over. My question for you is: will it be possible (with a Telo Handset--not yet purchased--and Premier service level) to port both lines over to separate lines so that my wife and I can have our own phone numbers, take/make our calls and voicemails separately, have different rings, and have appropriate caller ID show up when we call? If not, I may need to reconsider our changeover. I am gathering from the threads I've read here that with the Telo I can't hardwire the second line into our Uniden phones and will have to rely on the Telo handset. If that's true I wonder if I made a mistake getting the Telo and should have gotten the Hub/Scout.

I haven't seen or heard much about the Telo Handset. It sounds like it has limited range compared to traditional cordless handsets. Is that true? And will I be able to answer BOTH lines (either line) on it? (And does it have a headset jack?) I realized I am trying to reproduce what we have now with Ooma and that may not be possible, but given our needs, it seems to be the way we need to go. I'm open to other ideas as well.

There must be lots of folks like us with two landlines wanting to keep two-line functionality and swith both lines over to Ooma. What do you suggest? Is a second Telo and option or is that just a dumb and expensive idea?

Thanks Forumites for any help!

Wilsonium

Post by Wilsonium » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:24 pm

Howdy all...

I have an Ooma Core (usually referred to a Hub) with an associated scout for use with my traditional 2 line panasonic cordless phone with 2 phone numbers. Works great!

I also have a Telo with landline integration and 2 additional numbers. I have the the "Phone" port on the Telo connected to my wall jacks so any traditional phone will ring with incoming calls. I can initiate a phone call from my traditional phones on any of my lines by prepending the number. So I do have multi line access with a traditional phone with an important distinction... the Telo is not capable of passing dial tone to 2 distinct traditional phones. 2 line phones will function but only on one of it's two physical lines. However, the Telo is capable of handling 2 lines nicely. I have 3 lines on my Telo... my traditional landline is integrated plus 2 additional phone numbers. I can have up to 2 conversations rolling at any given time. If someone is using a handset and I pick up my traditional phone, I get a dial tone to make a call or can join the conversation. Like wise, if someone is on the traditional phone and I pick up a handset, i can either make a call or join the existing conversation.

So it is worth mentioning that the Telo will handle multiple lines gracefully. The Telo was engineered with features to replace existing cordless handsets. And while it's not capable of sending 2 distinct lines out thru the "Phone" port, it does have the flexibility to handle 2 or more phone lines and from my experience, it does it well. Also, even though the product launch was a bit early, I am very happy with my decision to install a Telo and am looking forward to many of the features still in development.

tommies

Post by tommies » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:10 pm

briguy wrote:Forum peoples,

I have asked to have one of our numbers ported over. My question for you is: will it be possible (with a Telo Handset--not yet purchased--and Premier service level) to port both lines over to separate lines so that my wife and I can have our own phone numbers, take/make our calls and voicemails separately, have different rings, and have appropriate caller ID show up when we call? If not, I may need to reconsider our changeover. I am gathering from the threads I've read here that with the Telo I can't hardwire the second line into our Uniden phones and will have to rely on the Telo handset. If that's true I wonder if I made a mistake getting the Telo and should have gotten the Hub/Scout.

Thanks Forumites for any help!
With premier, you can have two number with separated VM, CID, etc. The draw back--as you already knew--the second line has to be on Telo's Hand set.

If you really want your own phone on both lines, the old ooma core/hub+scout combo is what you needs. Wtih additional scout(s) you can even have 3rd, or 4th lines, however ooma can only provide two concurrent calls at any time. Note, inbound DTMF does not work with ooma hub/core due to hardware limitation.
tommies

fognet

Post by fognet » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:48 am

I use the Telo and a Telo handset. Why am I not able to call out using my second number? I got the second number because of business. When I make a business call I do not want my home number to be used.

I have have assigned the Telo Handset my second number and am not sharing.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:04 am

What phone number appears in the information display of the handset?
If it's not your second number, the personal assignment has a problem.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

fognet

Post by fognet » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:09 am

I have resolved the issue. I don't believe I waited long enough for the change to take place. It appears to be working now!

OldMacGuy

Post by OldMacGuy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:18 am

I just got my Ooma Telo this week and am still confused on what I can do with my two lines if I get Premier.

I live part time in MI and FL and want area codes in each area.

I need to use a wired phone to get reception in some areas of my home and garage.

1) Is there any way to select which line to use for out bound calls using a wired 2-line phone?

2) Can I identify which line is called on incoming calls using wired 2-line phone?

3) If I can/t get the above functions with a 2-line wired phone, can I get them on the Telo Handset in some locations of the house and what is my ability to call and answer in the area where I need a wired phone?

Thanks for any help

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:49 am

OldMacGuy wrote:I just got my Ooma Telo this week and am still confused on what I can do with my two lines if I get Premier.

I live part time in MI and FL and want area codes in each area.

I need to use a wired phone to get reception in some areas of my home and garage.

1) Is there any way to select which line to use for out bound calls using a wired 2-line phone?

2) Can I identify which line is called on incoming calls using wired 2-line phone?

3) If I can/t get the above functions with a 2-line wired phone, can I get them on the Telo Handset in some locations of the house and what is my ability to call and answer in the area where I need a wired phone?

Thanks for any help
1. Yes, but it can be done with a one line wired phone. Your wired phone connected to the Telo and any unassigned Telo Handset will by default show the first number on outbound CallerID, but you can force the second number to be used by preceding the dialed number with **1. For a Telo Handset which is assigned to the second number, that second number is the default outbound CID but the first number can be forced by preceding the dialed number with **0.

2. No. If you assign your second number to a Telo Handset it will only ring that Handset, and the first number will only ring on your wired phone. If you do not assign the second number to a Telo Handset both numbers will ring on all phones.

3. See above. Remember with Ooma Premier the lines are separate from the numbers. You can have two lines active at the same time using only one number. The line number indicators on the Telo only refer to the order in which they become active, so if the first call comes in on the second number the line1 light will be on. Line2 will only be lit if Line1 is already in use regardless of which phone number is used.

2-Line wired phones have no advantage with the Telo system at this time, as only one wired line can be in use. There has been some talk of a wireless Scout-like device for Telo that would communicate via DECT to the Telo base but output to a wired RJ-11 plug, but no official announcement of such a device has been made. Such a device could be used with a two line phone.

OldMacGuy

Post by OldMacGuy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:25 am

Groundhound thanks.

Can I select which phone line in no. 1 (shown on outgoing calls) and if so, can I change it periodically (seasonally) to show phone number where I an calling from.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:34 am

OldMacGuy wrote:Groundhound thanks.

Can I select which phone line in no. 1 (shown on outgoing calls) and if so, can I change it periodically (seasonally) to show phone number where I an calling from.
Yes you can select which of the phone numbers is used by default for outgoing caller ID.
Both numbers must be in the shared pool for this to work. That is, you can't assign a number to a handset.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx