Blocking "Out of Area" Calls

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
krawfo
Blocking "Out of Area" Calls

Post by krawfo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:59 pm

Does anyone know how to block calls that show as "Out of Area" on caller ID? AT&T had a service called Anonymous Call Rejection that would not allow calls to ring if there was no caller ID information. Does OOMA have anything similar?
Thanks.

Lee

Re: Blocking "Out of Area" Calls

Post by Lee » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:56 pm

I'd like to see that also as well as states (i.e. California) and "Toll Free" in the ID box. Those are ALWAYS tele-marketers.

dtalwar

Post by dtalwar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:09 pm

There is such a feature under Privacy in Preferences on my.ooma.com, but if I recall correctly, it is a Premier feature.

Wilsonium

Post by Wilsonium » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:31 pm

Lee wrote:I'd like to see that also as well as states (i.e. California) and "Toll Free" in the ID box. Those are ALWAYS tele-marketers.
"Toll Free" numbers are mostly telemarketers. However, for me, "California" or "California Caller" is often a call originated from a cellular phone. I greatly appreciate my anonymous call rejection and blacklists but if I blocked calls based purely on the name of the state, some of my sisters would be blocked when they tried to call.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:27 pm

The service department at my car dealership identifies as Toll Free.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

VoIP

Post by VoIP » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:15 pm

krawfo wrote:Does anyone know how to block calls that show as "Out of Area" on caller ID? AT&T had a service called Anonymous Call Rejection that would not allow calls to ring if there was no caller ID information. Does OOMA have anything similar?
Thanks.
Ooma has Anonymous call rejection, it's under the privacy preferences.
A call coming through as "Out of Area" doesn't mean that it is anonymous. I used to get Out of Area calls while on AT&T despite having Anonymous call rejection. The reason is a limitation of how CNAM (Call Name) information is passed along. If Ooma's Anonymous call rejection is active and you still get those calls then you can either block them through the Blacklist if you are Premier user or if they are unnamed calls that you do not wish to block, it may be possible to add entries for them into the Ooma contacts, which is supposed to be available within a week or so.

Lee

Post by Lee » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:33 am

State listed calls are cell phones? That's interesting, I didn't know that. Are ALL calls with a state listed on the CID cells?

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:27 am

Lee wrote:State listed calls are cell phones? That's interesting, I didn't know that. Are ALL calls with a state listed on the CID cells?
There are exceptions but if the cell phone company hasn't published the actual caller ID information you will get the default that is in that carriers database.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx