can't dial out - incoming works

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
oomamax
can't dial out - incoming works

Post by oomamax » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:36 pm

Seems like it's one thing after another. Now I can't dial out, but incoming calls are ok. I have the Telo connected between my cable modem and router. At times it all works - but then it doesn't. I've rebooted numerous times to no avail. My cable modem specs are very good - plenty of bandwidth and high line quality. In my Setup-Advanced, I'm using 0 for downstream internet speed, and 200 Kbps for upstream.

When I dial from my Ooma phone to my cell phone, the cell phone rings even though I don't hear the "ringing" tones in the Ooma phone originating the call. When I answer the cell phone, the line is dead, as is the Ooma phone's line - completely silent. To make matters worse, I've terminated my landline service, so now all that works are our cell phones.

I tried Ooma customer service, but we got disconnected. I'll try again tomorrow, or Friday. Don't know if they'll be able to fix it or not. Wife is ready to divorce me.

Groundhound

Re: can't dial out - incoming works

Post by Groundhound » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:09 pm

oomamax wrote:Seems like it's one thing after another. Now I can't dial out, but incoming calls are ok. I have the Telo connected between my cable modem and router. At times it all works - but then it doesn't. I've rebooted numerous times to no avail. My cable modem specs are very good - plenty of bandwidth and high line quality. In my Setup-Advanced, I'm using 0 for downstream internet speed, and 200 Kbps for upstream.

When I dial from my Ooma phone to my cell phone, the cell phone rings even though I don't hear the "ringing" tones in the Ooma phone originating the call. When I answer the cell phone, the line is dead, as is the Ooma phone's line - completely silent. To make matters worse, I've terminated my landline service, so now all that works are our cell phones.

I tried Ooma customer service, but we got disconnected. I'll try again tomorrow, or Friday. Don't know if they'll be able to fix it or not. Wife is ready to divorce me.
What cable ISP are you using, and what speed tier are you subscribed to with them? 200 Kbps upstream seems like a low QoS setting for most cable ISP service.

oomamax

Post by oomamax » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:28 pm

Upstream speed is usually greater, but occasionaly drops to 200. Just tested on http://www.voipreview.org/voipspeedtester.aspx
and got

Download speed 4654 Kbps
Upload speed 721 Kbps
D/load QOS 58 %
U/load QOS 93 %
RTT 50 ms
Max Delay 392 ms
Avg Delay 2 ms
Max Bandwidth 5840 Kbps
Route Speed 10485 Kbps
Forced Idle 0 %
Route Conc 1.2
Download test s
Upload test s

The only downside is Quality of Service (QOS) is only 60%, not the greatest. In the past, this has been much higher - must jump around with time. Our ISP is tulalipbroadband.net

oldanbo

Post by oldanbo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:49 pm

Just as a test, have tried putting the telo behind your router? Your speeds seem really low so it may not make a diff, does your router do QOS? If so and you put the telo behind router, set telo QOS to zeroes.

Seems strange to me why incoming would work but not outgoing. But I am a neophyte. My response to most problems is to get a bigger hammer. :)

Edited to add. If you reboot make sure to do it in the proper sequence. The sequence would depend on your configuration.

oomamax

Post by oomamax » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:01 pm

So - I just disconnected router-Ooma-modem in that order. Then reconnected modem-Ooma-router. Now it works. Great.

Let's see if it continues to work. Thanks all. My confidence in Ooma is not high, but I sure want it to work.

Correction - it worked once. Now does not work again. Same story - incoming ok, outgoing no go.

oomamax

Post by oomamax » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:27 pm

So here's the story. All I need to do is reboot the Telo before any outgoing call. It then works for one call - no more. I'm sure the wife won't mind that.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:30 pm

The stats you posted for "max delay" indicate a lot of variability in your connection.

oldanbo

Post by oldanbo » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:51 pm

Your performance stats would make me wonder whether your ISP can handle VOIP at all. I'm not qualified to make that decision. I have 6mb down with 1.5mb or better up with zero jitter.

It is possible, I suppose that you need to have the telo replaced. But again, I'm not able to make the call on that.

I do know that there are people reading and participating on these forums that want your experience to be positive and successful.

Maybe someone else can help here.

Regards,
Dan

bw1

Post by bw1 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:40 pm

You said your landline is disconnected. Did you select a new phone number from Ooma when you activated?

Did you port your landline number to Ooma?

What kind of phone are you using?

Did you try a regular corded phone?

When you reboot, unplug the Modem and Telo. Plug in the Telo and wait 30 seconds and then plug in the Modem.

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:05 am

oomamax wrote:Our ISP is tulalipbroadband.net
Uh oh. One of those, "Can I play on the Internet, too, mommy?" ISP companies. Probably there to serve the outlying, far-reaching or fringe-area service locations with Email, simple web-surfing and some cable channels. Good luck on doing 24/7 high-speed VoIP with them. Better yet, what are your other ISP alternatives? If your Telos box isn't broken, then I believe you need a better 'pipe.'
Last edited by Soundjudgment on Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>