can't dial out - incoming works

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
oomamax
Re: can't dial out - incoming works

Post by oomamax » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:39 am

Uh oh. One of those, "Can I play on the Internet, too, mommy?" ISP companies. Probably there to serve outlying, far-reaching or fringe-area service locations. Good luck on doing high-speed VoIP with them. Better yet, what are your other ISP alternatives?
No alternatives. Verizon has the phone service, but don't offer DSL. Clearwire doesn't go here. The ISP has actually been very reliable. No problems streaming Netflix movies on PS3, including HD.

Whether they can handle voip remains to be seen. Here are latest voip test results:

This report refers to a connection test carried out by IP address [hidden] on 26 Nov 2009 8:33:02 GMT-08:00.

Download speed 5421 Kbps
Upload speed 742 Kbps
D/load QOS 67 %
U/load QOS 96 %
RTT 50 ms
Max Delay 324 ms
Avg Delay 1 ms
Max Bandwidth 5840 Kbps
Route Speed 10485 Kbps
Forced Idle 0 %
Route Conc 1.0
Download test s
Upload test s

Max Delay and D/load QOS not so hot. Sometimes these numbers are fine, sometimes not. Phone is working right now, but will it continue to do so? I have another week or so to decide, before I must return hardware to Best Buy.

oomamax

Post by oomamax » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:04 am

bw1 wrote:You said your landline is disconnected. Did you select a new phone number from Ooma when you activated?

Did you port your landline number to Ooma?

What kind of phone are you using?

Did you try a regular corded phone?

When you reboot, unplug the Modem and Telo. Plug in the Telo and wait 30 seconds and then plug in the Modem.
Using new phone number from Ooma. Porting old number will happen in a couple weeks. Using Panasonic cordless with Dect 6.0 (3 phones), plus 2 other cordless phones (5 phones total) scattered around house. Tried a corded phone a few days ago, but not with this latest problem. Phones are working right now, but assuming I have trouble again, I'll try your recommended reboot sequence.

oomamax

Post by oomamax » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:09 am

Here's another set of voip test data, just done -

This report refers to a connection test carried out by IP address [hidden] on 26 Nov 2009 9:06:02 GMT-08:00.

Download speed 5858 Kbps
Upload speed 740 Kbps
D/load QOS 98 %
U/load QOS 95 %
RTT 49 ms
Max Delay 12 ms
Avg Delay 1 ms
Max Bandwidth 5858 Kbps
Route Speed 10699 Kbps
Forced Idle 0 %
Route Conc 1.0
Download test s
Upload test s

As I said, sometimes this is very clean, sometimes not. Enough for now - time for football and turkey.

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:54 am

Now that *last* report is the numbers you want to receive all the time. That one is much better. Also, call Verizon when you get the chance and ask what the ETA is for true Fios fiber-service out at your location. There is no doubt they are digging up the trenches and pulling much of their copper wiring out around the country, and going all fiber as time passes on. AT&T is doing it, too. Old-school DSL (and its speed-limits) is dead... so no need to waste time with that.
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

shampooguy

Post by shampooguy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:17 pm

I am having the exact same problem with my Telo, after having zero problems with my old Ooma hub, all variables being equal. I randomly cannot call out. The phone on the other end will ring and the person will pick up to nothing. Fortunately, what works most of the time is when I call my Google Voice number to make an outgoing call, or when I use my GV online account to place a call. It's been very frustrating, and the 5 calls to customer service have resulted in no help, only various reasons as to why it's not working. They wanted me to keep a log of what numbers I was trying to call and what providers they are...well, one number is their own customer service number

panacea911@gmail.com

Post by panacea911@gmail.com » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:17 am

Just activated Ooma Telo Air - incoming is fine but can't place outbound calls,. :shock:

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Did you enable 10 digit dialing in your account? If not you can only dial 7 digit numbers in your own area code. All other calls must be 11 digits. 1 + area code + 7 digit number.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dbaker218

Post by dbaker218 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:47 pm

Folks I spent hours trying to get OOMA to work with my TMobile home internet. Calls would come in but I could not dial out. I rebooted in every conceivable matter. Reset the TMobile trash can, rebooted OOMA and nothing worked. Switched the cable back to the cox router, everything worked, switched back to T Mobile, same problem. I found an entry in one of the forums to dial *99 xxx-xxx-xxxx# the x's represented the phone number that I was attempting to call. After about 10 seconds, the call went through and every call after that worked. No idea why this fixes the issue.

PMurray

Post by PMurray » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:52 pm

I'm having the same problem, can't dial out - after multiple resets of both the Telo and the router, nothing changes.
Just tried the *99 + number idea described here, and while I get a second dial tone after the *99, the outgoing call still doesn't go through - there's just a busy signal after 10 seconds (or sometimes 50 seconds).

Anybody got any ideas?

Kim5678pink

Post by Kim5678pink » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:01 pm

We just made the shift to Ooma (after using it for years at the office). It used to be too expensive for a home phone but now their prices are competitive enough we couldn't resist.

We had this same issue (2022 of course). I called support right away. They said it was the phone number I chose (it was the only one offered by the system). So they gave me a new number and it corrected the problem right away. It took some time on the phone with customer care but she was very nice and was careful to check and double check the line was working properly before closing the "case" (yes, I know this should be done but often isn't, so I felt it was worth mentioning).

We also decided to port in our old number after a couple of weeks establishing that this new Ooma system was "a keeper". I was a little worried the problem would return with the number change but am happy to say it did not. It's been a couple of weeks... so far so good.