What happens if my Internet connection goes down?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
eldiosyeldiablo
What happens if my Internet connection goes down?

Post by eldiosyeldiablo » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Even with backup landline connected to the ooma devine. You do not get a dial tone.

I just had tech support, two different reps over two different phone calls, tell me that the backup landline only works if you don't go through the ooma telo device.
Ie if your internet goes down use your other phone that is connected directly to you local phone provider.

This document is misleading and so is their sale reps. I called sale to get their spin on it.
https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... -goes-down

WayneDsr

Re: What happens if my Internet connection goes down?

Post by WayneDsr » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:48 pm

On the ooma hub, when there is a network outage, the landline does take over. Even if there is a power outage in your house the landline takes over. You can make calls out and receive calls only if some one calls your landline number.

On the Telo the landline takes over ONLY on a network outage and NOT on a power outage. Once again, you can make calls out, but cannot receive calls unless the caller is dialing your landline number.

I have both units and I can verify that.

Wayne

eldiosyeldiablo

Post by eldiosyeldiablo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:11 am

I have the Telo and I experienced and verified that it does not.

I also called tech support twice last night and they confirmed that it does not.

For example after calling tech support I unplugged my network cable into the ooma and sure enough. No dialtone through ooma even though I have a landline hooked up to the back of the ooma device.

Magus

Post by Magus » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:46 pm

A minimum protection is to go to my Ooma>Preferences (https://my.ooma.com/calling) and forward on network outage to a directly connected landline or cellphone. I no longer have a landline to test if the Telo has a fail safe to allow the landline through its circuits on local Ethernet disconnect. I thought it did, but if not, you can always keep one phone directly hooked up to the landline for emergencies.
Blue Lover