Can't receive calls

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
WayneDsr
Re: Can't receive calls

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:51 pm

steelman wrote:I am facing a very similar problem. For the last 2 weeks I have not been able to receive calls. Incoming calls go directly to my voicemail. My phone doesn't ring. What should I do to fix that? Can anyone help?
Not sure if you're using the Telo or the ooma hub. Either way your privacy mode could be on. Is the Envelope button on (red)?
If so, hold the button down for 5 seconds and it will turn off, disabling privacy mode. Calls should ring in now.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

Steve P.

Post by Steve P. » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:44 pm

UPDATE

Today we finally got our phone to start ringing again. This after our fifth or sixth call to support. This time my wife got on the phone with me. Although these guys are just Tier 1 support grunts I believe he could sense that there would be no excuses.

This time they suggested that I forward my calls to another number. "Oh, but you don't have premium". I was unaware this was an option, not that it would have solved the problem since I don;t get cell service in my home. But it would have meant that while out, I would get SOME calls. I suggested that maybe they could upgrade me to premium so we could try that.

After yet another "2-3 minute delay" the tech said they would call within 2 hours. Wow, I;d been told for two weeks that they'd get back to me in 24-48 hours. We said fine, since there was nothing else to do. Miracle of miracles they phone just rang and it was Dante with Ooma support saying everything is fixed. We've tested it and our number seems to work again. Awesome.

Now I am left to wonder how much business I lost during the last 2 weeks.

Anyone else out there back up and running?

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:50 pm

Steve P. wrote: Miracle of miracles they phone just rang and it was Dante with Ooma support saying everything is fixed. We've tested it and our number seems to work again. Awesome.
My personal experience with Dante confirms that he is one of ooma's great technical assets. Right up there with Bobby B. and Dennis P. When I was having my initial echo problems 10 months ago, he was fervently involved to help solve things. I am happy he got you up and running. Thanks for the update!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Ooma4me

Post by Ooma4me » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:22 pm

I am having the same issue you guys are having it started around the same time it started for you too. I reported it on the 29 to ooma support and nothing happened yet.
if someone calls me from an ooma number it works fine, but it doesn't work from outside the network. and I can still make calls out. I called today and the support person had to re-verify the problem and she said she was going to call me back after the test call.
I haven't heard from her again. I am getting a bit upset with the support I am receiving.

joecryo

Post by joecryo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:23 pm

I have a new Ooma Telo unit. I can make but not receive calls. The phone rings, but niether party can hear the other when the call is answered. The caller continues to hear a ring, and the call eventually goes to VM. However, the VM that is left when this happens never ends up in the Ooma VM system.

I use Verizon home service, which is a basic landline, not provided via the internet. Ooma is between my modem and my router. Internet service is Time Warner cable. I am in the 951 area code.

I do not have an actual phone wall plug near the ooma. I am using a GE device that sends the phone signals over the house electrical wiring system. This seems to be a very clean signal, because I have used this same arrangement in the past for a fax setup. No fax is hooked up to ooma right now. My hardware configuration is modem - ooma - cisco linksys router. Hope all this helps.

Any suggestions???

Ooma4me

Post by Ooma4me » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:21 pm

I am little disappointed with the Ooma support. I called 3 times so far and every person I speak with tells me they escalated the ticket But I am still not receiving any support.
I asked for Dante but they couldn't transfer me to him so I am at loss to what to do, maybe I should drive to their office in person.

jkacarab

Post by jkacarab » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:34 pm

joecryo wrote:I have a new Ooma Telo unit. I can make but not receive calls. The phone rings, but niether party can hear the other when the call is answered. The caller continues to hear a ring, and the call eventually goes to VM. However, the VM that is left when this happens never ends up in the Ooma VM system.

I use Verizon home service, which is a basic landline, not provided via the internet. Ooma is between my modem and my router. Internet service is Time Warner cable. I am in the 951 area code.

I do not have an actual phone wall plug near the ooma. I am using a GE device that sends the phone signals over the house electrical wiring system. This seems to be a very clean signal, because I have used this same arrangement in the past for a fax setup. No fax is hooked up to ooma right now. My hardware configuration is modem - ooma - cisco linksys router. Hope all this helps.

Any suggestions???
I am also in the 951 area code and my hub just started the same thing, I can make outgoing calls but can not receive calls.

when I call the ooma number the voice mail says the person I dialed can't take my call right now, please leave your message....

From reading the forum, it seems that all one can do is call tech support and wait.

My configuration is AT&T DSL using their integrated modem-router. No land lines or house lines connected. Had great service last week, now, NO incoming calls get through.

QUESTION: What is the GE device you are using to send phone signals over the house wiring?

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:22 am

Sounds like you have privacy mode enabled.
Make sure the display intensity knob on the right side is turned all of the way up.
The ooma tab should be blue.
Is the envelope key red?
If it is, you have privacy mode enabled.
Push and hold the envelope button until it turns off.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Ooma4me

Post by Ooma4me » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:54 pm

II called again today and I spoke with another rep. after explaining the situation again and he told me that my escalated ticket was still not worked on, then we did again some troubleshooting. he suggested for me to change my number. I agreed to it and what you know. my phone start receiving calls again.
Something went wrong with my original number so it stopped routing the call to my ooma, I am going to keep my fingers crossed for this new number not to have the same problem in the future. but at least I know and easy fix for next time.

lunapants

Post by lunapants » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm

I have had difficulty receiving calls from the east coast since before Christmas. The caller has been getting a message saying "The number you have dialed is not in service".... which is definitely NOT the message I want them to be receiving, especially since I have been giving my number to potential employers. The last report of phone problems was from a caller 2 days ago. Local callers seem to have no problems. I have not contacted tech support by phone, but have tried by email. I hope it is resolved soon.
My configuration is Ooma hub+scout, privacy is not enabled, Comcast, cysco router, no landline.