Voicemail going to Cox Telephone voicemail

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Skippy101
Voicemail going to Cox Telephone voicemail

Post by Skippy101 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi,
I installed the Ooma Telo a few days ago. My voicemail currently goes to my Cox Telephone VM instead of the Ooma VM (even though it is already set up).
I still have the Cox phone active until my phone number is ported over. I'm pretty sure my inbound and outbound calls are using the Ooma service instead of the Cox phone though, as I get the chime when I pick up the receiver, and I can also track the calls online with Ooma. However, my voicemails are going to Cox, instead of Ooma...
How could that be?
A side problem of that is that I can't check my voicemails with Cox without unplugging my OOma, and rewiring everything...
Help!

kujospam

Re: Voicemail going to Cox Telephone voicemail

Post by kujospam » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:42 pm

If you are getting them on your cox vm and you havn't been ported over yet then they are calling your cox number so it will not go on Ooma vm. Tell people your new temporary phone number so they call you using that.

Skippy101

Re: Voicemail going to Cox Telephone voicemail

Post by Skippy101 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:29 pm

No, as it turns out, all I needed to do was to set up the # of rings to be less with OOma than with Cox, for my calls to go to the OOma VM. This, according to the OOma Tech Support person. I did this, and it now seems to work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue to work ok.

(p.s.: I didn't get a temporary phone # while my number is being ported over. I'm still using the same number).