Question on Second Line and Hub System

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
curtl
Question on Second Line and Hub System

Post by curtl » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:45 am

Hi, I have a Hub system, but the Ooma website Premier feature list seems to be written towards people that have the Telo system.

I currently have the Hub system, and I am in the Premier trial. I have only a set of wireless phones hooked into the Hub. Can I use the Second Line? If someone calls while we are on the phone, will their information show up in the Caller ID?

Can someone use another wireless handset and get access to the second line? I'm guessing they will here the conversation on the other line if they pick up.

What is a scout for? Do I need a Scout and a second set of phones to be able to access the Second Line?

Sorry for the questions, but this is all confusing, and it seems like I have purchased older technology or something.

Thanks!

Aveamantium

Re: Question on Second Line and Hub System

Post by Aveamantium » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:50 am

Only one "line" can be accessed at a time through the Hub's PHONE port... To access two simultaneous lines you need to access the WALL port of the Hub via the scout.
Go AVS!

curtl

Post by curtl » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:54 am

So, if I get a Scout and hook it up, what then?

As I said, I only have one cordless phone system right now. That is hooked up to a wall jack in my house, as I have a new line running from the Hub to my TID so that all the phone jack's in my house are live...

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:56 am

The second line can be accessed via the Scout. To test it connect the wall ports of the Hub and Scout together with a short phone cord, then connect another phone (wired or wireless base) into the phone port on the Scout. Now if someone is talking on one of the phones working through your Hub, you can pick up the phone connected to the Scout and get a second dial tone (line). The Hub/Scout system is older technology, but offers one important advantage over the Telo/Telo Handset system - the Hub/Scout system has wired access to the second line via the Scout, and you can use your choice of handsets connected to the Scout to take advantage of the second line. With the Telo, the second line requires at least one Telo Handset. Telo has its advantages too, but the wired second line is unique to the Hub/Scout system.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:59 am

First make sure you're physically disconnected from the Telco (voltage can damage the hub). Second, you can use a phone splitter to put both the WALL and PHONE ports into the wall recepticle. Then you can plug your phones in to a wall plate and use them like normal (like you currently are) and then plug the scout in to a wall plate where you want the second line (phone then plugs into the scout).
Go AVS!

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:21 am

Just to confirm what I am sure my friends Aaron and groundhound are saying, you will need not only the scout but a second phone or cordless base plugged into it. And the scout can be VERY close to the hub if you wish. Some of our folks actually place their scout on top of the hub - and then either use two-line phones or like myself, two different cordless bases. Having the two close also means no need for a splitter - just a short telephone cable between the wall port on the hub to the wall port on the scout. Then the new phone plugs into the phone port on the scout.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

curtl

Post by curtl » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:23 am

Yes, I am physically disconnected from the telco.

So, I would get a splitter, and plug lines from the WALL and PHONE jacks of my Hub into that splitter, and then plug the one output of the splitter into the line that goes out to my TID and interfaces into my home house wiring?

On a related note, I understand that I have to purchase a Scout to have the Second Line option. If I choose to not put in a Scout, does this mean that I will NOT have Call Waiting? What will people get when they call me and we are on the phone? A busy signal?

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:27 am

curtl wrote:If I choose to not put in a Scout, does this mean that I will NOT have Call Waiting? What will people get when they call me and we are on the phone? A busy signal?
Call waiting works without a scout. When a second caller tries to reach you when you are on the phone, you will hear a beep in your earpiece. If you want to switch to that call, you can do so by "flashing" over to it. On some phones, there is a flash button. On most of the new DECT 6 phones, the flash is combined with the green button you press for dialtone. If your phone is capable of CWID (call waiting caller ID) then the second caller's number will appear on your cordless to help you make the decision to take the call or not.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:28 am

curtl wrote:Yes, I am physically disconnected from the telco.

So, I would get a splitter, and plug lines from the WALL and PHONE jacks of my Hub into that splitter, and then plug the one output of the splitter into the line that goes out to my TID and interfaces into my home house wiring?

On a related note, I understand that I have to purchase a Scout to have the Second Line option. If I choose to not put in a Scout, does this mean that I will NOT have Call Waiting? What will people get when they call me and we are on the phone? A busy signal?
Yes (on your splitter question). You will still have Call Waiting you just can't have two simultaneous conversations. When they call you you'll hear the Call Waiting beep and you can either hit the 2 button on the hub or "flash" on your phone to talk to the second caller.

Edit: Note to self, must type faster... :D
Go AVS!

curtl

Post by curtl » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:16 pm

OK, thanks for all the help folks.

Not sure if I will go with a Scout, but I figured if I end up paying for Premier and get the Scout for free along with it, I may as well try to use it!