Question on Second Line and Hub System

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Aveamantium
Re: Question on Second Line and Hub System

Post by Aveamantium » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:25 pm

curtl wrote:OK, thanks for all the help folks.

Not sure if I will go with a Scout, but I figured if I end up paying for Premier and get the Scout for free along with it, I may as well try to use it!
You won't get the scout for free with Premier, unless I'm missing something!? The offer that I've seen (not sure if it is still around or not) is a free Handset for the Telo with Premier Annual Subscription.
Go AVS!

curtl

Post by curtl » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:10 pm

Do you think that they won't honor this?

I have already paid for the number port separately...

feartheturtle

Post by feartheturtle » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:45 pm

It never hurts to ask. But I think the cost of Premier Annual has gone up $20 since Jan 1. We ported first, then when it came time to purchase the Premier Annual we had the choice of paying $100 for the Scout and membership or paying $60 for the membership alone (which meant we paid a total of $100 for the membership + number port). We chose the cheaper route, as we had no need for a second Scout. Call quality from our Scout is very marginal - which means we use it primarily as a remote answering machine. If we really, really, really need the second line feature we will use the phone connected to the Scout - but whoever is on the other end will always experience poor call quality.

Best to make your decision and call CS before the end of your trial membership! Once you are out of your trial period you may find it difficult to get the "free number port."

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:56 am

Here is a summary of SCOUT features, describing why you might want a scout, or not:

* Provides "one touch" voicemail access from the scout. Helps if, for example, the ooma HUB has to be located elsewhere. In my case for example, the ooma HUBS has to be in the basement, that's where my internet and phone wiring is. If I have a hub say, in the kitchen, I get the benefit of the red light, and a one-button-push to listen to voicemail.

* Provides "instant second line". This requires a phone be connected to the scout, AND - a premiere subscription. It is important to note that not everyone uses or needs the scout - but for some, the scout unit- or even MULTIPLE scout units, can be quite handy. Check eBay- there's a TON of scouts available there for sale.

Apart from that, the other features available in ooma do NOT require a scout: For example, you CAN listen to voicemail, but without a hub or scout, you need to dial your own phone number to get access to it. Incoming call-waiting does not require a scout.
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core