Unable to make calls

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
mmatski
Re: Unable to make calls

Post by mmatski » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:33 pm

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ooma customer support suggested I turn off the firewall on my at&t 2wire modem. I did that. I disconnected all wires. Phone, ethernet and power from all devices connected to the Ooma for 5 minutes.

(att 2wire 1701 HG GATEWAY modem - switch- Ooma - Vonage router - pc)

IT WORKS! :-)

www.2wire.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ordinarylyf

Post by ordinarylyf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:22 pm

Guys I know the exact issue that you are having and I had it too, just check my earlier posts. All I have to say is that in my case it must have had something to do with uVerse network settings or the combo Modem/Router hardware itself. Today I switched back to Comcast for internet and it was all solved. I looked all through the settings on the uVerse router and I could not find anything that would work. Now I have DirecTv and I have Comcast for Internet.

I did not use any of Comcast's equipment, I am using my own router and cable modem. Here is my equipment if it will help..

Linksys CM100 Cable Modem with USB

LinkSys Cisco WRT160N Wireless N Broadband Router

I am up and running, I hope this helps others, all I can figure is that there is something about the proprietary hardware that was screwing up the outgoing calls, so if you guys can find out how to tweak the settings in the uVerse Router it will work, what those settings are I cannot tell you as I tried everything in the book for two months.. Good Luck I am OUT!!!!!!!

amoney

Post by amoney » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:38 pm

There have been recent threads with information indicating the firewalls in some devices needed to be reset, including Motorola surfboard router, 2Wire, etc. I even thought I saw someone mention Uverse as well... yeap here it is...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4785&start=0
Well, well, after several hours trying to find out where the problem was, finally it has been resolved! I am with AT&T UVERSE (Internet, TV, and VOIP phone), anyway, playing with the Firewall in the AT&T router, I decided to reset or clear the firewall settings, and bingo! It works! Wow! I love it!
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

ordinarylyf

Post by ordinarylyf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:56 pm

I'd seen this post and when I could not get it to work with my hardware and software I thought it what the last straw. I knew at that time where the issue was and I was tired of screwing around. It did not hurt that uVerse kinda sucked to me. Just an opinion.

stevepierce

Post by stevepierce » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:39 pm

I am not on Uverse or AT&T. I am on a T1 line sitting behind a firewall. I cannot make outgoing calls. Incoming work great.

I suspect the problem is a firewall and I simply need to open the appropriate ports.

But what are the open ports needed to use Ooma and why isn't this in a FAQ or KB article?

I am not looking forward to calling support in the morning after reading all the nightmares on the Forum.

- Steve

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:44 am

stevepierce wrote:I am not on Uverse or AT&T. I am on a T1 line sitting behind a firewall. I cannot make outgoing calls. Incoming work great.

I suspect the problem is a firewall and I simply need to open the appropriate ports.

But what are the open ports needed to use Ooma and why isn't this in a FAQ or KB article?

I am not looking forward to calling support in the morning after reading all the nightmares on the Forum.

- Steve
https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeb ... vice-ports
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

stevepierce

Post by stevepierce » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:46 am

Cool, thanks.

stevepierce

Post by stevepierce » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:19 am

Nope, Didn't fix the problem. Outgoing calls do not work.

I already had a firewall rule that allows all LAN traffic to the WAN. I added each of the rules outlined in the KB article and no difference.

Called tech support and when I asked how long it would take to go through their template (series of questions like tell me your download speed) before escalating the call to TIER 3, she hung up on. Not cool.

- Steve

stevepierce

Post by stevepierce » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:12 am

Called back support. They were very apologetic and very nice. They said they would look into the problem and do additional training of the support tech that hang up on me.

Then the supervisor asked if there was anything else they could do. I described my original problem. She then asked for my phone number.

I asked, "How are you going to research my complaint about a tech hanging up on me if you don't already have my phone number?"

There was a very long silence on the other end of the call. And then even more silence.

So much for finding the tech that hung up the call.

After that stumble, they opened a support ticket for me, after getting my phone number. Now we will see how long it takes to return phone calls.

Plugging a laptop directly into the Home port on the Ooma and I still can't access http://setup.ooma.com. Though all the other websites including LAN fixed IP addresses work.

Weird,

- Steve

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:25 am

stevepierce wrote:Called back support. They were very apologetic and very nice. They said they would look into the problem and do additional training of the support tech that hang up on me.

Then the supervisor asked if there was anything else they could do. I described my original problem. She then asked for my phone number.

I asked, "How are you going to research my complaint about a tech hanging up on me if you don't already have my phone number?"

There was a very long silence on the other end of the call. And then even more silence.

So much for finding the tech that hung up the call.

After that stumble, they opened a support ticket for me, after getting my phone number. Now we will see how long it takes to return phone calls.

Plugging a laptop directly into the Home port on the Ooma and I still can't access http://setup.ooma.com. Though all the other websites including LAN fixed IP addresses work.

Weird,

- Steve
Did you disable the wireless radio on the laptop so it has to use the hard wired port?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx