Does Ooma use Wireless companies to connect calls?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
realsol

Post by realsol » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:50 pm

I miss dialed a number today and got a Verizon Wireless recorded error message. I have been told by some people that it sounded like I was calling from a cell phone. This particular call was going from Redding,CA to Grand Rapids Michigan.

murphy

Re: Does Ooma use Wireless companies to connect calls?

Post by murphy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:55 pm

The number that you mis-dialed belongs to Verizon wireless but has not been issued to a customer. Thus you got a Verizon wireless error intercept.

realsol

Post by realsol » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:37 am

What I actually did was not include a '1' in the number. I was testing to see if 10 digit dialing was working. That is when I got the recording. When I added the '1', that is when the call went through.

I thought the same as you, but not including a '1' would be a standard error recording when calling through Verizon. My Cell phone (no part of Ooma) uses Verizon. I get this recording when I forget to include a '1'. So when I didn't include a '1' on Ooma and got the same recording, so it looks to me that Ooma Does use cell services to place calls.

I am hoping not and would like to hear from someone at Ooma to confirm or deny this.

Mojo
Ooma Moderator

Post by Mojo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:10 am

No, we don't use wireless companies to connect calls.

We should have 10 digit dialing available in 1-2 weeks. We'll likely send a note out to all ooma users beforehand.