questions about porting

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
legendsguy
questions about porting

Post by legendsguy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:18 pm

Hello All,

I took the plunge today and had my business phone ported to Ooma. Ooma states it takes 3-4 weeks. Is it most folks experience that it takes that long or should I expect a shorter turnaround?

Since this is my business line I'm really nervous about it and hopes everything goes well. I already have the cable modem installed so I can cut the dsl from at&t which they may do automatically it when the number is ported.

Last question: Since this is my primary business line, what would happen to my number if Ooma went belly up. Is the number somewhere in the system so it could be ported to someone else easily?

Thanks.

skellener

Re: questions about porting

Post by skellener » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:41 pm

It took mine 3 weeks. Phone never stopped working.

I switched from DSL to cable modem as well. Steps in this order...

1. Got Cable internet set up. Switched computers/routers over to it.
3. Signed up and hooked up Ooma (to internet as well as landline).
2. Called DSL ISP and cancelled it, but left phone number as just a landline.
3. Sent in LOA to Ooma
4. Port came through 3 weeks later.
5. Unplugged Ooma from landline
6. Called and cancelled landline.

I'm pretty sure you can port your phone number to any service you like.

legendsguy

Post by legendsguy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I hope it all goes as smoothly. I've had Ooma for a couple months and really like it. Finally decided to take the plunge and port the number

mountnbykr

Post by mountnbykr » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:49 pm

I called to port my number on December 22nd. On the 24th I received my LOA paperwork and submitted the same day. On January 14th they sent the email that they received my paperwork. I didn't receive a completion estimate until Jan 20th. My scheduled completion date is Feb 3rd. Unfortunately mine seems to be taking longer than normal.