I hear a busy signal as soon as I pick up the phone

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
tbeerley
I hear a busy signal as soon as I pick up the phone

Post by tbeerley » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:37 am

I've had my ooma hub for a week or two and it's been working fine until now. Now, whenever I pick up the line, I hear the ooma dialtone but I also hear a busy signal at the same time (about two busy tones per second). My light is blue and I've tried rebooting the ooma device. I can't place any outbound calls at all. When I try to make an inbound call to my ooma number, the phone does ring, but when I pick it up I get a busy signal on the _receiving_ side! The calling side goes to voicemail.

Mojo
Ooma Moderator

Re: I hear a busy signal as soon as I pick up the phone

Post by Mojo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:40 am

Are you hearing a busy tone as soon as you pick up the phone connected to the ooma Hub or do you hear it only after you dial a phone number? Do you hear the same busy tone when you place a call on the instant second line (to test, try connecting the Scout and while you have the phone connected to the Hub "on", lift up the phone connected to the Scout)?

tbeerley

Post by tbeerley » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:43 am

I hear the busy tone over top of the dial tone, as soon as I pick up the phone, before I dial anything. If I do try to dial a number, the inputs are ignored. My phone is hooked up to the hub. I only have one phone so I'm not using the scout. But if I toggle between the first and second lines using the buttons on the hub, I hear the same thing either way.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:04 pm

This one sounds like a new issue we haven't run into before -- I've asked one of our engineers to take a look...

By the way - when you plug a regular phone directly into your wall, do you get a regular dialtone?
Bobby B

tbeerley

Post by tbeerley » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:36 pm

I cut the ooma hub out of the picture, plugging the phone directly into the "wall" (which is actually a Vonage adapter). I still got the busy signal, which is good information because it tells me that it's more of a Vonage issue rather than an ooma issue.

The reason the ooma was plugged into the Vonage adapter is because I'm transitioning from Vonage to ooma. I submitted the porting request about a week ago but never received any notification that the request was received, let alone that the port was actually complete. I suspect that the busy signal from Vonage might be an indicator that the porting is complete. However, when I tried removing the Vonage adapter from the "wall" socket of the ooma hub, and rebooting the hub, the ooma tab is now blinking red and four buttons are lit (1, 2, play, and next).

I'm not sure how to proceed without knowing if my porting is finished. In any case, I'd like to figure out how to reconfigure the ooma so that it doesn't expect a landline to be hooked up to the "wall" port. With Vonage gone, all my calls should go straight over the Internet.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:35 pm

Hi tbeerley, it doesn't look like any port has started yet, and normally it takes 3-4 weeks for a port to complete after we've received your paperwork. Have you had a chance to send the LOA form back to us?

As for the Vonage busy signal -- since the port hasn't even been kicked off, there's likely some other cause of the Vonage busy tone -- I'd give them a call. I also went ahead and set it so you can make outbound calls without having the vonage phone service plugged in (you might need to power cycle, e.g. unplug and re-plug the power adapter, your hub for it to take effect).
Bobby B

tbeerley

Post by tbeerley » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:22 pm

Yes, I e-mailed the LOA on 1/17 to loa@ooma.com. Has it not been received? I would have hoped for some sort of acknowledgement but didn't receive one.