How are my Google Voice voice messages ending up on my Ooma?

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
lohertz
Re: How are my Google Voice voice messages ending up on my Ooma?

Post by lohertz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:31 pm

Maybe I got confused during the whole thing, but on the surface this is what it sounds like
Some calls your gv
GV forwards to ooma
ooma picks up voicemail.
some how, gv also has the voicemail.

GV and ooma are recording the voicemail the ooma voicemail system picks up concurrent with gv and both record the message

Multi ring back to GV was an issue and cant remember the specific thread, can't remember if it was resolved.

Which is used more often, GV or ooma...Do people generally call GV or do they call your ooma number. Most folks use GV as the front end. I think the only person in the world that knows my ooma numbers is my wife.

gfrobe

Post by gfrobe » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks. That seems to make a lot of sense and could explain what's happening.

I'd much rather everything go to GV but unfortunately the cell phone reception in my house is awful and I'm worried about missing calls. For this reason I have Ooma pick up messages and send me a text. That way whether I'm home or out, I get the message.

I read in an older thread that dialing *67 before my Ooma number will put me right into the options and avoid ringing my home number. This doesn't seem to work for me though. Is that something that Ooma no longer supports?

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:43 am

lohertz wrote: GV and ooma are recording the voicemail the ooma voicemail system picks up concurrent with gv and both record the message
gfrobe said when gv has the vm, ooma does not, so that doesn't sound like concurrent recording.

gfrobe

Post by gfrobe » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:55 am

sfhub wrote:
lohertz wrote: GV and ooma are recording the voicemail the ooma voicemail system picks up concurrent with gv and both record the message
gfrobe said when gv has the vm, ooma does not, so that doesn't sound like concurrent recording.
You're right. My head is starting to hurt figuring this out.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:21 am

gfrobe wrote: I read in an older thread that dialing *67 before my Ooma number will put me right into the options and avoid ringing my home number. This doesn't seem to work for me though. Is that something that Ooma no longer supports?
It was never something that Ooma officially supported. It was a work around that I've used and posted here.

You have to have Anonymous Call Block checked and set up to send anonymous calls to voicemail.

gfrobe

Post by gfrobe » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:43 am

Thanks. That worked.