First ooma line can't call second ooma line

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
murphy
First ooma line can't call second ooma line

Post by murphy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:38 am

There is no landline connected to my system.
I have two ooma assigned numbers.
I am subscribed to Premier.
The main number is on the hub and the second number is on the scout. The first number is marked shared since the lounge will not allow the main number to be unshared. The second number is not marked shared and is assigned to the scout.

If I call the second number (on the scout) from the first number (on the hub), instead of ringing the second number I am taken to the second number's voicemail.

If I call the first number (on the hub) from the second number (on the scout), instead of ringing the first number I am taken to the first number's voicemail.

It does not appear to be possible on an ooma system with two numbers for one number to call the other number.

Why I want to do this is not important to the discussion.

Is this a bug or "working as designed"?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

trim81

Re: First ooma line can't call second ooma line

Post by trim81 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:41 pm

I agree -same issue here...

Ooma should look into having this reworked.

I have a 2 storied home and it will be nice if the upstairs # can dial into the downstairs...

(yes we are lazy and do not like to walk)

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:30 am

Anyone from ooma want to comment on this problem?

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:27 am

murphy wrote: Why I want to do this is not important to the discussion.

Is this a bug or "working as designed"?

It's working by design. The way ooma has been engineered - the system always expects phone calls to come in from the ooma network, not from within the system itself.

Is there a reason you were looking for this functionality?
Bobby B

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:54 am

They have a 2 storied home and it will be nice if the upstairs # can dial into the downstairs...
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:27 pm

The second poster gave an example of a multi-story house and calling between floors.

Althouigh not my current situation here is another more annoying problem.
The second line is for your mother-in-law who lives with you. The problem with calling the other number going to the answering machine is that it DOESN'T ask for the pin. Thus your mother-in-law can access your voicemail and you can access hers without knowing each other's pins. That is family problem waiting to happen.

I can see this happening if both numbers were shared on the hub. With one number assigned to a scout they should be treated as completely independent numbers. They already have their own voicemail boxes.

I have two lines on my Motorola Vonage adapter. They are totally independent. Either line can call the other line.

Long ago I had two Verizon lines. They could call each other.

trim81

Post by trim81 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:39 pm

is there any way Ooma can rework this?

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:47 am

murphy wrote: Althouigh not my current situation here is another more annoying problem.
The second line is for your mother-in-law who lives with you. The problem with calling the other number going to the answering machine is that it DOESN'T ask for the pin. Thus your mother-in-law can access your voicemail and you can access hers without knowing each other's pins. That is family problem waiting to happen.
You're right, that shouldn't be the correct behavior. One account shouldn't be able to access the voicemail of another account without entering a PIN number. I'll get a bug filed for that.
Bobby B

rbuck

Post by rbuck » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:15 am

Can't Ooma give us a code to ring the other line...a shortcut? Perhaps something like **82 and that rings all scouts/hub in the house. It would be like Intercom.

We really need the ability to call each other in our massive house. Gramma lives with us in her own apartment. Please address this glaring limitation with the Ooma system!

luvalaff

Post by luvalaff » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:34 am

We have a Uniden Dect 6.0 with 6 portable phones. I can pick any one of the phones and intercom any one of the other phones. The main phone is connected to the Ooma hub. Works perfectly. I don't even need a scout really.