New GV problem. Calls to my Ooma number are ringing my GV

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
Groundhound
Re: New GV problem. Calls to my Ooma number are ringing my GV

Post by Groundhound » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:27 pm

southsound wrote: And I can assure you that ooma does not have a special forces team hacking the Google servers.
I dunno, that character in the avatar above with the mask on looks mighty suspicious to me... I may have to get the foil hat back out. ;). Sorry - couldn't resist - now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

rpmsoftware

Post by rpmsoftware » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 pm

Good stuff. Think through this scenario:

1) You pick up your cell phone.

2) You call you Ooma voice number.

3) Your wife's cell phone rings, my work blackberry rings,etc...

4) Important to note is that I am a core subscriber, have never utilized any form of call forwarding ( I simply cannot), and most importantly have NEVER provided these numbers to Ooma as contact numbers etc.. Follow? Umkay greeeeat.

The responses cracked me up but C'mon now...Something is not right. It's cool though, like you guys are suggesting it is absurd to think that corporate america would attempt something like this (or push a revenue generating product like Premier)...What's next...we throw our trash out and someone uses the info to steal our identity or maybe worse, our information is sold to companies for mass marking purposes... Hey waita minute that actually happens now! Wake up it's 2010...I have worked in worked in IT for 20yrs now... It is possible.

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:11 pm

rpmsoftware wrote:Good stuff. The responses cracked me up but C'mon now...Something is not right. It's cool though, like you guys are suggesting it is absurd to think that corporate america would attempt something like this (or push a revenue generating product like Premier)...What's next...we throw our trash out and someone uses the info to steal our identity or maybe worse, our information is sold to companies for mass marking purposes... Hey waita minute that actually happens now! Wake up it's 2010...I have worked in worked in IT for 20yrs now... It is possible.
I agree. It is time to take protective measures. Not only do I have a pantry stocked with 1.479 earth years of sustinance for my family, I have wrapped my home in protective sheeting (available from the Reynolds folks). Out of concerns regarding electromagnet energy siphoning off our psycoenergy, I have disconnected all of the electrical devices in my home, save a shielded connection to the Internet and my ooma. Most recently I have sealed the little round openings on the outlets in our home. If you notice, these have appeared in just the last 50 or so years. Our parents never had these little round holes - just the slots where power is connected. I believe these little round holes suck the very life from our being. As added protection, I recently invested in the following protection for my family:

Like yourself, I (or someone who resembles me on a parallel plane) have spent countless decoannums in the informational technology realm of psuedo existance. I have found great comfort and enlightenment in the writings of one Lyle Zapato. You can find his insightful work at http://zapatopi.net/ We have been the victim of so many conspiracies - through his writings I have found the truth about Belgium, Black Helicopters, Psychalking, The Republic of Cascadia, Tree Octopi, and MindGuard: Psychotronic mind-control protection for Amiga and Linux. I owe my very sanity to Lyle's insightful insights.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:59 pm

rpmsoftware wrote:4) Important to note is that I am a core subscriber, have never utilized any form of call forwarding ( I simply cannot), and most importantly have NEVER provided these numbers to Ooma as contact numbers etc.. Follow? Umkay greeeeat.
Ooma already said the inadvertent multi-ring is a bug on their end. The only question then is where the Google Voice phone # came into the picture. One possibility was it was given a long while back for possibly some other purpose (SMS, call-forward on outage, etc. etc.) than multi-ring and now a bug caused it to be used in multi-ring. I don't think it is necessarily relevant if someone is on Ooma Core/Basic because everyone was given a trial-period of Ooma Premiere when they first signed up at which point they (or someone in their household) could have experimented with the features.

Another possibility is somehow with limited Ooma information, your Google Voice # was "discovered" and added to multi-ring. Assuming the latter, why would it just happen to a few people. There are plenty others who have Google voice #s and it isn't happening to them. This would not be my default explanation for what is happening and it would require more information on how the Google Voice # was or could be retrieved to convince me.

kaho

Post by kaho » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:21 pm

Same here. my premier trial expired today. now when people called me on ooma my cell phone was also ringing. like the other poster, when i picked up my cell it asked to press 1. How do i turn it off?
thanks

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:21 am

kaho wrote:Same here. my premier trial expired today. now when people called me on ooma my cell phone was also ringing. like the other poster, when i picked up my cell it asked to press 1. How do i turn it off?
thanks
You will have to call CS to have them fix your account.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

kaho

Post by kaho » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:15 pm

thank you guys for all the threads. I emailed ntoy last night. He emailed me back today. Everything was taken care of. Thanks ntoy for your quick response. An A+ for your service.