Can my phones display "new voice messages" from the Ooma Hub

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
mistertee
Can my phones display "new voice messages" from the Ooma Hub

Post by mistertee » Sat May 08, 2010 8:24 am

Basically, I would like to set up my system so that Ooma Hub is able to work as an answering machine but also so that my other regular phones can detect when Ooma Hub has new messages and play them by simply pressing "Play" on them. Is this possible?

I know that another option is to turn off voicemail (by delaying the Ooma VoiceMail ring to after my regular phone's answering machine), but I want to retain my Ooma's voicemail because it has more features.

DTMF

Re: Can my phones display "new voice messages" from the Ooma Hub

Post by DTMF » Sat May 08, 2010 8:27 am

It can't work that way. To access the voicemail from your regular phones you must dial your own phone number.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat May 08, 2010 8:29 am

It's possible if your phones support the VMI protocol (Voice Message Indicator). I've only seen that in business type desk phones. I have three desk phones that have the capability and it works.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

mistertee

Post by mistertee » Sat May 08, 2010 8:34 am

DTMF wrote:It can't work that way. To access the voicemail from your regular phones you must dial your own phone number.
The only reason why I don't like the Ooma Hub or the Scout for pressing the "play" button is that it is A) kinda tinny sounding compared to our other phones' speakers B) it's in our basement instead of the kitchen, and we normally have the answering machine/playback in in our kitchen. So since we have Ooma in our basement next to the modem, A) we'd have to go into the basement every time to just hear the messsages (annoying) or B) we could dial our own number each time and hear the messages (annoying) or C) use the scout in the kitchen and deal with poor sound quality.

Are there any other options?

Does the Telo come with a feature addressing this or does the Telo handset display when there are new messages with a touch of a button?

mistertee

Post by mistertee » Sat May 08, 2010 8:36 am

murphy wrote:It's possible if your phones support the VMI protocol (Voice Message Indicator). I've only seen that in business type desk phones. I have three desk phones that have the capability and it works.
So if I look for phones that have VMI protocol (will Amazon be alright?), I can buy those phones, and they will detect when Ooma Voicemail has new messages?

Do you recommend any models in particular?

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat May 08, 2010 8:53 am

My phones are Nortel model 9417CW, which are two line desk phones.
You are more likely to find this feature in a phone that doesn't come with it's own answering machine.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sat May 08, 2010 10:43 am

mistertee wrote:Basically, I would like to set up my system so that Ooma Hub is able to work as an answering machine but also so that my other regular phones can detect when Ooma Hub has new messages and play them by simply pressing "Play" on them. Is this possible?
Some manufactures call that feature VMI (as others have noted). Others call it VMWI. Many panasonic and uniden phones have it on their non-answering phone versions. Some Uniden phones have it on their answering machine versions too. Probably others have it also.

You won't be able to press Play on them and have it play Ooma messages. You'll have to call your own number but you can just put that on speed dial.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sat May 08, 2010 10:46 am

mistertee wrote:The only reason why I don't like the Ooma Hub or the Scout for pressing the "play" button is that it is A) kinda tinny sounding compared to our other phones' speakers
If by "tinny" you mean it isn't loud enough, the Ooma Hub should have a volume knob on the side somewhere.

FloridaJohn

Post by FloridaJohn » Fri May 14, 2010 7:18 am

mistertee wrote: C) use the scout in the kitchen and deal with poor sound quality.
This is what I do. My Hub is upstairs in my home office (where my modem resides), and the Scout is downstairs in the kitchen. Works fine for me.

vector1701

Post by vector1701 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:21 am

FloridaJohn wrote:
mistertee wrote: C) use the scout in the kitchen and deal with poor sound quality.
This is what I do. My Hub is upstairs in my home office (where my modem resides), and the Scout is downstairs in the kitchen. Works fine for me.

That is my setup exactly....Hub upstairs in office with my router, and I want to setup the Scout on the kitchen wall next to the wall mounted kitchen phone. Before I setup the Scout 2 questions..1- Is the voice quality off the Scout a known issue, even though Ooma recommends this setup, and why? (from poking around the forums sounds like it is) and 2 - Would I get around this issue by splitting the phone line so 1 line goes to the Scout and 1 line goes to my phone, therefore I would not be technically using the phone off the Scout?

OR would it be best to split the signal from the source and put all the Scouts on the L2 lines in my house and keep the phones on L1? Using this...

What is the best setup to ensure high voice quality?

Thanks to all the helpful Ooma members on this site.
Customer Since: 5/19/10
Hardware: Core/Hub with 2 Scouts
Premier Expires: 7/18/11 - Want Lifetime
Verizon Port: 6/8/10 - 6/22/10
Internet: Cox 3 Mbps/768 Kbps
Setup: Cablemodem -> Hub -> Netgear WRG614v9
Phone: AT&T DECT 6.0 4-Handset CL82409