Using two lines at same time

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
OldMacGuy
Using two lines at same time

Post by OldMacGuy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:31 pm

The feature list for Ooma Premier and Telo Handset has the following information:

"Instant Second Line™
Make or take a second call without missing a beat. Let’s say you’ve got a teen and they are always on the phone. Not a problem. With Ooma’s Instant Second Line feature, all you have to do is go to another Ooma Telo Handset in the house, pick it up, and you’ve got a fresh Ooma dial tone."

To use the second line, are you required to have two Ooma Telo handsets, or can you use one Ooma Handset and another cordless or corded phone?

ntoy

Re: Using two lines at same time

Post by ntoy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:40 pm

Hello,

Yes, you can have a phone connected to the phone port on the telo & at least one telo handset.

Example:

-Cordless handset base connected to phone port on telo - takes care of 1 line
-telo handset - to use the 2nd line.

OldMacGuy

Post by OldMacGuy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:49 pm

Is the non-telo phone automatically switched to the unused phone line if the Telo handset is already using one line or does it depend on which line the Telo handset is using?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:38 pm

OldMacGuy wrote:Is the non-telo phone automatically switched to the unused phone line if the Telo handset is already using one line or does it depend on which line the Telo handset is using?
If both numbers are shared and a call comes in on either number while the Telo Handset is in use on either number, the phone plugged into the Telo will ring with the second call. Remember, with Ooma lines and numbers are not the same. The line in use light on the Telo only refers to the order in which the lines go into use, not the number being used. You can have two simultaneous calls on the same number or on separate numbers.

rsg

Post by rsg » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:14 am

Hmm...what do we have to do when we're on one phone call and we want another telephone in the house to join the call? I can figure it out from the Telo handset, but if we're currently on anything else and pick up a regular phone we get the 2nd line. Thanks!
Feb '10 start date, telo & telo handset, premier.

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:01 pm

rsg wrote:Hmm...what do we have to do when we're on one phone call and we want another telephone in the house to join the call? I can figure it out from the Telo handset, but if we're currently on anything else and pick up a regular phone we get the 2nd line. Thanks!
Go to the Telo box while a handset is off the hook and press the "1" button to select Line 1.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:01 am

rsg wrote:Hmm...what do we have to do when we're on one phone call and we want another telephone in the house to join the call? I can figure it out from the Telo handset, but if we're currently on anything else and pick up a regular phone we get the 2nd line. Thanks!
If I am on a cordless phone that has a flash key then I just need to press the flash key to join. But this does not work for my other phone that has the end call and flash on the same button. I don't know if this is true for all phones. But it seems to work on mine.