Voicemail Indicator on handsets

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
stuman74
Re: Voicemail Indicator on handsets

Post by stuman74 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:24 pm

murphy wrote:Take the handset off hook so you hear the ooma tone and then push the voice mail button on the hub.
Correct, that is one way to do it. However, only in the room with the handset and the Ooma hub. I have multiple handsets all over the house and typically retrieve directly from each handset.

bverdon

Post by bverdon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:35 pm

stuman74 wrote:
murphy wrote:Take the handset off hook so you hear the ooma tone and then push the voice mail button on the hub.
Correct, that is one way to do it. However, only in the room with the handset and the Ooma hub. I have multiple handsets all over the house and typically retrieve directly from each handset.

Dial your ooma number from the handset and you will be prompted if you would like to check your vm from there!

jtykal

Post by jtykal » Thu May 14, 2009 6:30 pm

jmassimilla wrote:I checked and my voicemail tone is set to off. I didn't mention that the indicator always comes on when a message is left, it just almost never shuts off when the message is retrieved.
I have the same issue, but only with the scout. The indicator light on the phones connected to the hub are accurate, but the indicator light on the phones connected to the scout will continue to flash even after all messages are retrieved. I need to do a VMWI Reset from the Global Setup menu to clear it. (I have Uniden phones, too.)

Tried it with two different phone systems -- VMWI works on the hub, doesn't work on the scout.

MarkHofmann

Post by MarkHofmann » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:50 pm

Does anyone have an update on this issue? I have the same problem. The voicemail indicator on my phone does turn on when there is voicemail, but never turns off ONLY when connected to the scout. When it is connected to the hub, it works fine.

Sounds like a voicemail indicator/scout problem. Thanks.

- Mark

MarkHofmann

Post by MarkHofmann » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:37 am

I have figured out the combination that causes the voicemail indicator problem on the handsets when using the scout. There is a work-around, but I hope the engineers at Ooma can make a system patch/update for this.

If you have a setup like mine (Hub in the basement on a UPS), scout connected from the hub using the wall jack using the home wiring to the kitchen where the base is located.

If power to the scout is disconnected or it is reset, the voicemail indicator light on the handset will not update. You can reset the scout all day long and it will not fix the issue. Once the hub drops connection to the scout for whatever reason, the voicemail indicator will not work on the handsets.

The work-around is to disconnect the "wall outlet" on the scout (to break the digital connection between the hub and scout), and then plug the connection back in. Once you reconnect the "wall jack" on the scout, the message indicator will sync properly with the hub and it will work fine after that (unless your scout reboots/loss of power, etc again).

Seems a software fix would be to re-init the digital connection between the hub and scout on a reset of the scout.

Please let me know if I'm on track, but I can re-produce this at home consistently. Thanks!

- Mark

MarkHofmann

Post by MarkHofmann » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:41 pm

Could anyone from Ooma give us an update on this?

I keep having to unplug the wall jack between that connects the scout and hub to update the voicemail indicator light on my Uniden handset base. When I do that, it updates the handset base. Otherwise, it never seems to update.

Thanks.

- Mark

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:10 pm

Not trying to "rub it in" but my VMI light works fine (comes on and goes off) on my Vtech phone connected to the scout. Maybe it has something to do with the phone itself?

I just wanted to point it out that this issue isn't impacting everyone. Hope you get it resolved though!
Go AVS!

but2002

Post by but2002 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:19 pm

Aveamantium wrote:Not trying to "rub it in" but my VMI light works fine (comes on and goes off) on my Vtech phone connected to the scout. Maybe it has something to do with the phone itself?

I just wanted to point it out that this issue isn't impacting everyone. Hope you get it resolved though!
Unplug your scout(Power, not phone cable) and plug it back in WHILE you havfe a voicemail, then listen to the voicemail on the hub. Tell me then if the scout updates the VMI light on the Scout connected phone

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:32 pm

but2002 wrote:Unplug your scout(Power, not phone cable) and plug it back in WHILE you havfe a voicemail, then listen to the voicemail on the hub. Tell me then if the scout updates the VMI light on the Scout connected phone
That could be why I'm not having problems... I don't use the hub to check voicemail as it is in my wire closet serving the Line 1 house wiring. Sorry if I misunderstood the issue...
Go AVS!

but2002

Post by but2002 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:33 pm

Aveamantium wrote:
but2002 wrote:Unplug your scout(Power, not phone cable) and plug it back in WHILE you havfe a voicemail, then listen to the voicemail on the hub. Tell me then if the scout updates the VMI light on the Scout connected phone
That could be why I'm not having problems... I don't use the hub to check voicemail as it is in my wire closet serving the Line 1 house wiring. Sorry if I misunderstood the issue...

Ah yes, I forgot. You're the one with the Linksys router that is at risk of severe data loss from spilling to the bottom because of unplugged ethernet jacks.

(LOL)