Incoming calls receive busy signals

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
rigg6707
Incoming calls receive busy signals

Post by rigg6707 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:17 pm

Several people have left messages on my cell phone today telling me that they are receiving a busy signal calling my home phone. I have had no problem making outgoing calls. Nothing looks out of the ordinary on my Telo. Any ideas?

nn5i

Re: Incoming calls receive busy signals

Post by nn5i » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:06 am

In order really to answer this, anyone would need to know which of the two kinds of "busy" signal they're getting.

(1) A regular "busy" signal is one beep per second. In traditional wired telephone service it indicates to the caller that the line he called is in use, or at least that it is off-hook.

(2) A "fast busy" signal is two beeps per second. Its proper name is "reorder" and not "busy", but many people call it "fast busy". It indicates to the caller that the switched telephone network could not find an available path for the call. This can be due to an "all circuits busy" condition, to downed lines, or to damaged cables. It indicates nothing at all about the individual subscriber line the caller was calling.

Can you get your callers to tell you, with greater precision, what they're hearing?

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:31 am

Hello rigg6707,

I've escalated your issue to our carrier.

rigg6707

Post by rigg6707 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:29 pm

ntoy - Thanks for escalating this issue. I called customer service this morning and they ran several tests and also received a busy signal (nn5i - not sure which kind it was). They told me I would need to talk to a technician, but I had to leave at that point and planned to call back. I was getting ready to call early this afternoon but decided to first try calling from my cell to my home phone and it worked. I have received two additional calls since then. I don't know what caused the fix, but am glad it is working. Thanks!

ntoy

Post by ntoy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:26 am

I'm glad to hear that it is working!
Carrier routing issue.