Some incoming calls go straight to voicemail

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
2spirit
Re: Some incoming calls go straight to voicemail

Post by 2spirit » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:55 am

tomkowalewski wrote:Just activated my Ooma account. I find that whatever I have the "voicemail pickup time" set to in user preferences, the time that occurs between the start of ringing and the transfer to voicemail is about 14 seconds.
Hello tomkowalewski . . . welcome to the forums. Be sure that when you have adjusted the voicemail pickup time in your Ooma Preferences that you have clicked the Save button near the bottom of the screen. There have been times when I have forgotten to do that, and wondered why my changes didn't take effect. Also it does take the Telo several minutes to pick up changes in your settings, so give it some time after making changes to test the results. Or you could reboot the Telo to have it acquire the new settings from you account. I have not experienced any calls going immediately to voicemail since they applied the fix . . . so hopefully that is not causing your problem.
Telo w/ 2 Ooma Handsets
Annual Premier Subscriber

tomkowalewski

Post by tomkowalewski » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:09 am

Each time that I have changed the "voicemail pickup time" setting, I hit "save" afterward to apply the setting. I also tried rebooting the Telo box. No change in operation. My phone connected to the Telo rings once and transfers to voicemail. The time between the first ring heard in the calling headset and the transfer to voicemail is always about 14 seconds, no matter what I have the pickup time set to.

cyberbern

Post by cyberbern » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:12 am

Well here it is a New Year and while I haven't suffered too badly from the "call goes directly to voice mail" bug it happened on my first incoming call this morning. Rang once and went to voice-mail. Thought this was fixed.

Any update on this problem?

tomkowalewski

Post by tomkowalewski » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:40 am

Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off voicemail altogether? A home answering machine can then be used for messages and the problem with single ring to voicemail could be bypassed...at least until fixed.

utahsnow

Post by utahsnow » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:47 am

cyberbern wrote:Well here it is a New Year and while I haven't suffered too badly from the "call goes directly to voice mail" bug it happened on my first incoming call this morning. Rang once and went to voice-mail. Thought this was fixed.

Any update on this problem?
I'm still having the problem. Norm was working on it before Christmas but I haven't heard any updates since.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:49 am

tomkowalewski wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off voicemail altogether? A home answering machine can then be used for messages and the problem with single ring to voicemail could be bypassed...at least until fixed.
You can call customer service to have them disable your VM permanently. However, not sure if that would solve your problem....because even if you set the number of rings to max, I think if you are experiencing this problem, the 1 ring and VM would still happen.

Kiran

Post by Kiran » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:10 am

Dear 2Spirit--in a previous post you said,
2spirit wrote:Kiran . . . I think you will have a much better Telo experience without landline integration . . . plus you will be able to use all the Telo features as they are meant to be used.
So I am wondering, now that I have the landline calls forwarded to a new, temporary Ooma number til the porting goes through, whether I can on top of that use the Multi-ring feature. I tried it but when I dialed the forwarded number, the phone rings but the cell number that I forwarded to does not. I guess the real question is whether an already forwarded number can be forwarded a second time.

2spirit

Post by 2spirit » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:35 pm

Kiran, I'm not an expert in this area, but I don't think double forwarding will work. Of course, all of this will be resolved once your porting takes place.

And if I may humbly offer a suggestion . . . when addressing an issue such as this, it would be beneficial to start a new thread on the topic. A lot of the true Ooma experts (sometimes lovingly referred to as "the old-timers") scan the forums for "new posts" and new topics and they would find your issue more quickly. There are some very bright people active in these forums . . . so I'm sure someone will chime in to verify (or discredit) my thoughts on this matter.
Telo w/ 2 Ooma Handsets
Annual Premier Subscriber

mtnmedic

Post by mtnmedic » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:01 pm

Add me to the list. Just started experiencing this recently.

Privacy/do not disturb setting OFF (red envelope blue, not red). Turned it on, then off. Same behaviour. Then I rebooted the Telo hub. Same behaviour.

Interestingly, I just discovered it's CERTAIN CALLERS whose calls go straight through to voice mail. I've checked my Ooma settings and those people aren NOT blocked. The number of rings to pick up is longer on my cell phone than the Telo hub.

Weird.

tomkowalewski

Post by tomkowalewski » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:03 pm

mtnmedic wrote:Add me to the list. Just started experiencing this recently.

Interestingly, I just discovered it's CERTAIN CALLERS whose calls go straight through to voice mail. I've checked my Ooma settings and those people aren NOT blocked. The number of rings to pick up is longer on my cell phone than the Telo hub.
For me, I've been calling my Ooma number from my existing landline to test the number of rings to voicemail, so it's always the same number. I found that it was going to voicemail after one ring consistantly (tried it maybe 10 or 15 times), then today, it started to work properly and delayed 45 seconds before voice mail transfer. I plan on continuing to monitor this, as I'm doing this as a trial period for Ooma before I port my landline number. If I find the operation unreliable, I'll ditch it an try Vonage.