User Controlled Call Waiting

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
hwgang
User Controlled Call Waiting

Post by hwgang » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:40 am

Call waiting is a feature I despise 99% of the time. As either the call placer or call receiver. I hate it on my phone and I hate it on others' in non-emergency situations. Once in a blue moon if I'm (or anyone else is) waiting on a call, say, from a pediatrician for a sick kid and I want to make a call in the meantime, sure. But most of the time it's intrusive. "What? What did you say? You blipped out for a few seconds" Or the pesky beeping on my end. I hate feeling that any call is subject to end at the whim of a "better" call.

Today, while waiting on hold with Ooma for porting issues I received THREE calls. (I didn't take anyone of them.) Imagine my surprise on not being able to control it myself. The very nice Ooma tech was shocked when I asked him to turn it off. Waiting on hold forever to control the feature is inconvenient. Please consider making it a user-controlled feature.

Mojo
Ooma Moderator

Re: User Controlled Call Waiting

Post by Mojo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:04 am

Right now, you can disable call-waiting on a per-call basis by dialing *70 followed by the number. We should have a lounge user-controlled setting to disable call-waiting for ALL calls going through the system available soon (hopefully within 3-4 weeks).

hwgang

Post by hwgang » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:22 am

Mojo, thanks once again. You're sprinkling all kinds of good news through the forum! ;-)

Right now the default is to disable it and I'm going to keep it that way since that's what I want 99% of the time. Is there a way to ENable it on a per-call basis?

DragonCall

Post by DragonCall » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:10 am

So here we are in 2014 ... did the ability to disable call waiting ever make it in as a feature? If so, where? Thanks!

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:16 am

Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

DragonCall

Post by DragonCall » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:21 am

All I see there is a check-mark that turns the Call Waiting indication ON or OFF. Not Call Waiting itself...

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:47 am

And by disabling call waiting itself you mean you want the 2nd call to simply go to voicemail right away?

DragonCall

Post by DragonCall » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:58 am

Yes. Exactly. If I am on the line, I'd like the caller to go straight to voicemail. I do not want to interrupt my calls, nor do I want someone calling to think I am not home when I am.

After 30+ minutes on the phone with an Ooma tech, I was told that Call Waiting CANNOT be turned off. :o

If this is a feature that others also want, it will help if people let Ooma know that clearly.

Thanks!

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:38 am

Support was only recently given the means to configure this feature for you. Ask support to disable 'Allow 2nd inbound call' in the Customer Config. I've now disabled this on your account.