increase the block list maximum to 2048

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
normw2
increase the block list maximum to 2048

Post by normw2 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:54 pm

June 2021 ooma block list update.

I would like to see ooma increase the block list maximum to 2048.

I have now reach 1024 on my block list. The list is 45 pages long.
And I get a warning my block is full, you must delete some to add any new numbers.

It took just over 5 years to get there(started ooma May 9 2016).
I had posted a reply to Allow blacklisting via Called ID .
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23768&p=148073&sid= ... 80#p148073
i suggest reading that post first, for background.
Having read the forums on call blocking, ooma is suppose to update nomorobo once a week, on Mondays.
It has been my experience, if I get a spam call on Tues, and don't block it immediately, they will many times call again, later that week.
Yes, I'm aware many of the spammers change the spoofed number constantly. if not every call.
If you call me and hang up, I'm going to block you. Period.
I'm going to make it as difficult as possible, driving the spammers cost up.
To do nothing is unacceptable.
If just 10 percent of ooma users were to aggressively block spam numbers.
we would all benefit from it.
I'm uploading just few pages of my black list, started from my Verizon days of twisted pair copper, Nov 4, 2014.
If ooma or nomorobo wants the full lis of 45 pages, you have my number.
Norm
Attachments
ooma block list 1024 June 18 2021.pdf
(13.58KiB)Downloaded 23 times
Aug 1 2016 ooma block list.pdf
(22.87KiB)Downloaded 22 times

Robek

Re: increase the block list maximum to 2048

Post by Robek » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:57 pm

Wait for spammers to repeat the same number at least once before blocking it. Filling up a block list with numbers that spammers aren't using anymore won't drive their costs up at all, but it will, at the very least, create unnecessary work for the Ooma servers. And if a thousand rules aren't blocking any calls, then adding a thousand more won't help. In many cases, blocking generic names (such as cities, states, bulk autodialers, and numbers) can be more effective than blocking specific numbers.

Ooma known spammer call blocking already leverages blocking rules from its user community. Nomorobo relies on multiple strategies for managing its lists, and while it does accept user reported numbers, it's up to the users themselves to report them. For some forms of spoofing, (such as "neighbor spoofing"), spammers use different numbers for different areas, so sharing blocking rules for those numbers doesn't necessarily help other users.

Spammers often spoof with legitimate numbers, belonging to otherwise innocent people or organizations. Aggressively blocking these numbers just creates a lot of false positives, which doesn't benefit anybody. Recent legislation is supposed to reduce this type of spoofing, by requiring some form of caller-id authentication and robocall mitigation at the source. In the meantime, Ooma and Nomorobo can try to filter out false positives, but users may still have to temporarily disable Nomorobo when expecting a call from a new number, until they can whitelist the number.